1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

More lens tests on the A7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by addieleman, Dec 1, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Did some extra testing today. Conspicuously absent were the 28mm lenses in the wide-angle department so I made up for that today. And I did some standard and telephoto tests; not as rigorously as the wide-angle tests, partly because across-the-frame sharpness is less important to me there and partly because I got fed up with testing. Have to do some zooms too, but that's for another time.

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm 1:2

Minolta MD 28mm 1:2

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm 1:2.8

There isn't a lot between the 28mm lenses featured here. Both 1:2 lenses are a bit too soft and flary wide-open and need stopping down to f/2.8 to get good center sharpness and contrast; the 28/2.8 is already good wide-open. All lenses are great in a fairly large portion of the frame at f/4. I'd say that the MD 28/2 needs stopping down to f/8 for good corners and the Rokkor 28/2 and 28/2.8 need f/11 for that. I think I'll prefer the MD 28/2 as a 28mm lens in my bag, but I won't use it a lot probably. Lately I got to find this angle of view a bit boring and I tend to use 24mm more often (16mm on the NEX-6, that is).

Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1:1.4
    This lens is a long-time absolute favorite of mine for landscape work, be it on the Panasonic GH2 or the NEX-6. On the A7 it has about the same characteristics: wide-open all the detail is there across the frame, but is very soft and flary, really dream-like. Stopping down gradually expels the softness towards the corners until they are fine at f/8; on the NEX-6 this lens is perfect at f/4. Nice lens, but not exactly a low-light weapon because of the need to stop it down substantially.

Minolta MD 85mm 1:2
    I knew already that this lens works well wide-open. There is some glow around highlights, but not enough in general to spoil the pictures. Stopping down to f/2.8 gets rid of the glow. Didn't check corner sharpness, but made some test shots to see how the out-of-focus areas look like. Not buttery-smooth, but not very bad either. I think I'll use this lens next weekend when my daughter gets her master's degree; have to practice this week! This lens never really impressed me on the NEX-6, but it really comes into its own on the A7.

Minolta MD 100mm 1:2.5
    This is a lens that works very well on all formats (µ4/3, APS-C and FE). On the A7 it's sharp across the frame right from the maximum aperture. Bokeh looks OK too, check the pics of the grass. Simply excellent lens.

Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 200mm 1:2.8
    Just a few hand-held shots because light and motivation were fading :). Not too shabby, just as on the NEX-6. This lens makes really sparkling pictures, Minolta at its best.

That's it for now, time to start making pictures again!

• Like Like x 14
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    You have a full set of Minolta's... Do they af w/ A7?

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Nope, I have only Minolta SR-mount lenses and these don't have autofocus.

4. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Hi Ad, thanks for the test shots, really helped. Do you have the Minolta 45mm f2 lens? This lens has always been very sharp when used on my NEX6/7 and EM5. Wondering if it'll be the same for the A7 :D It's one of my favorite lens because it's sharp and so light. Sadly I'll have to buy another one, seem to misplaced mine =/ At least it's cheap.

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I made some test shots this evening; my bookshelf will have to do, no access to daylight for test shots for the rest of the week. :mad: From experience I know that lenses look better this way than when shooting trees against the sky which reveals sharpness deficiencies mercilessly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bobbywise

bobbywise TalkEmount Regular

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    Hey Ad,

I love the Rokkor 45mm F/2. I took some simple shots of leaves with it on my X-Pro 1, and covered to B&W -- it made a lovely desktop screen :)
    I must try my Rokkor 45mm F/2 on the A7 :)

Lack of daylight shouldn't stop you -- I took a few tonight in the cold/dark with the A7 and OM 55mm F/1.2.

11194843245_8d76fa56bd.

• Like Like x 2
  7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You're right, I have to get out at night this week, the A7 can handle darkness :).

I just saw your pictures on Flickr, some nice ones there like the frosty car you showed above. I also noticed that you used an Olympus 40mm 1:2 and I'm thinking of getting a 40mm, be it this one or a Voigtländer 40mm 1:1.4. How's the Olympus? At what aperture did you shoot the pictures? I'd love to get my hands on an Olympus 40/2, but they're quite pricey.

8. bobbywise

bobbywise TalkEmount Regular

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    Hi Ad,

The ones from tonight were wide open at F/1.2.
    The ones from the other day with the Oly 40mm were at varied apertures (sorry I forget).
    I really like the Oly 40mm a lot (comparing it to my other 40mm the Summicron-C).
    The great thing with the Oly 40mm is that the minimal focal length is less than that of the Summicron-C, so you can get some nice portraits with it.
    The only disadvantage to the Oly 40mm is that it's quite big with the adaptor ring compared to that of the Summicron-C.

If I'm doing street photography, I'd probably go with the Summicron-C at F/5.6 set to about 1.5 meters anyway.

The Voigtländer 40mm may be the way to go -- the lens adaptor ring for it will be smaller than the Oly. The SC version (if you don't care for MC) is on sale at Robert White (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/lenses/voigtlander-40mm-f1-4-vm-nokton-sc-mc-black-lens.html).

Looking forward to seeing more of your images from the A7.

9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks, I might wanna go for used Voigtländer 40/1.4 MC then, the Olympus 40/2 is almost as pricey.

10. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Thanks for the shots :D I'm guessing the first pic was shot wide open at f2? Got some vignetting it looks like but still looks sharp none the less. Can't wait till my a7 gets here and try out this lens.

11. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Indeed, the shots were made with f/2, f/2.8, f/4 and f/5.6. There is a little info button below the picture, it shows the data.