1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Moonlight landscape

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by markoneswift, Jul 25, 2013.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi all, I was really impressed by the moonlit landscape that features on the homepage for the site and I was keen to see if I could emulate the shot. The result below is a) not very interesting and b) not very sharp but it does prove the concept that with a long enough exposure these types of shots are indeed possible. The camera was balanced on top of the car with the engine running and I couldn't see very well to compose / focus hence the resulting image :-

DSC05313.

I think I might try some more of these - anyone got any tips for refining the technique ( other than using a proper tripod lol ) ? Thanks !

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I also tried one myself, actually more than once.
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1374802563.929436.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm glad one of my photos inspired you to try something new!

Most important tip first: Your photo looks front focused (i.e. the stars look out of focus). For framing, you have to take multiple shots and adjust then to get it like you want it. Never use Auto White Balance, use the 2 second self timer (or a remote) and be VERY cautious about light - light pollution can be seen as a nice glow in some spaces, while it can destroy an image in other places, and there are so many things you don't see with your eye, so never stop experimenting.

I have quite a few night shots on my 500px account (link below in my signature), so if you want to know anything specific about how I made one of them, feel free to ask.

4. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Cool shot, thanks for sharing :) I must find some really cool locations for this type of shot, I'm in New Zealand so there must be some really great scenery somewhere I just need to find the time to locate it lol.

5. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks Poki, really appreciate the tips. I have done quite a bit of star field and night sky photography before but my main focus was the stars so I tended to avoid the full moon because it pollutes the image too much. However, since looking at your shot, I saw the moon as an alternative light source rather than something to avoid. I do always set for 'daylight' WB when shooting the moon close-up and that seems to work ok. Just for interest, how to 'moonscapes' look if converted to black & white ? Have you tried that ?

6. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Most people avoid an almost full moon when they shoot landscapes at night, because it's extremely hard making it not look like it is day. Getting the look of a beautiful night when it's almost as bright as during the day is damn hard sometimes.

Just as with any landscape, it's all about the composition and the contrast, so they can look awesome in B&W, or simply bad. One huge advantage is if you include the moon in the frame you get a better graduated contrast in the sky than when you shoot plain milky way skies.

8. Photo.Moto

Photo.Moto TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    Chris
    Here is a night shot from the NEX, one of the first nights I had the NEX out, along side my a580.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/2_stroke/9372192817/" title="Blue by 2_stroke, on Flickr"> 9372192817_63914a4337. "332" height="500" alt="Blue"></a>

9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    When was this taken? I thought Orion was gone from our northern skies . . . or does it reappear in the wee hours of the morning already?

Tony

10. Photo.Moto

Photo.Moto TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    Chris
    You are right Tony, this was taken back in February, that is snow on the hill on the right.

11. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Ah, I see now.

Tony