Moon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Aug 16, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I came back from my sunset hunting to find an excellent moonscape right out my front door. The moon was framed nicely by clouds and trees, so I went inside and popped the Vivitar 200 f/3.5 on the Nex, and stuck it on a tripod. Sadly, although my eyes could still differentiate the various light levels, my camera could not. There was no way I could get the clouds and trees without blowing out the moon, so I settled for a few moon only pics. This, I think, was the best.

Tony

20_zps551149e4.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Last weekend I picked up a Sigma 400mm 1:5.6 at an open-air photofair and I used it for some moon shots last night with the aid of a Minolta 300-L 2x teleconverter. I stopped the lens down to f/11, which is effectively f/22 with the converter. Results didn't disappoint me.

<a href="http://addieleman.smugmug.com/Other/Various/n-N7Nvg/i-hjqzX69/A" target="_blank"> i-hjqzX69-XL. </a>

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I see you got the Minolta gear in there. :D

4. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Cool shots guys ! Tony, maybe you could have combined a couple of exposures to get all the elements you wanted in the frame ? Expose one shot for the moon, the other for the foreground and then blend them together ? Ad, you have a super moon shot there my man, I would probably have shot it in black and white just to boost the contrast a bit and loose some of the colour noise but it looks awesome !

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    That is a thought, Mark. I haven't learned GIMP beyond the basics yet, but I do want to give that a try.

Tony

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't complain :biggrin: The Sigma 400 is actually one of the few non-Minolta lenses I have.

Thanks, also for the hint, am going to play around a bit with it.

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Another moon pic with the 30cm Rokkor. This was taken right after sunset, and about 90 minutes before it was "officially" full. I took another pic right at the official time, and couldn't tell a difference in size. :) I like the perspective with the trees.

Tony

moon1_zps63f8a411.

8. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Nice shot Tony, do you shoot RAW or JPEG ? Looks like there could be a nice amount of noise that could be pulled out of the sky with a RAW edit :)

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Sometimes I shoot RAW, but that one was the JPEG right from the camera.

Tony

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

11. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    That's why I suggested shooting black n white for the moon so that colour fringes / noise etc isn't as noticable :)