Moon Over

TedG954

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
I am convinced it is impossible for an urban photo in the Netherlands to not contain one or more bicycles.

Which is fine given the geography and climate. But that will not work here when it is -10F/-12C outside with 6in/15cm or more of snow on the ground (without drifts). :shakehead:

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Which is fine given the geography and climate. But that will not work here when it is -10F/-12C outside with 6in/15cm or more of snow on the ground (without drifts). :shakehead:
oddly people still cycle in Finland (including me) when its well into the -20C range ... snow drifts on the other hand are an impediment, but I've noted that out on the lakes I see those fat tyred bikes ...

A quick video I did in Finland on such a day to explain such to my Australian mates

(*phone cam)

and in this video I used my bicycle to haul my XC skis out to the lake (-20 or so) to take this video (sorry, Panasonic GH-1). I passed many people riding bicycles on the forest tracks to an fro (as well as skiers on their tracks which run beside the cycle / walking tracks)

*slight language alert in final seconds
Life goes on, even if its cold, because its cold a lot of the time in Finland

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have occasionally seen people even here on fat-tired bikes in the snow, but it is definitely not the rule. We have a lot of descendants of people from your part of the world (especially Norway), so that may explain it. :biggrin: