1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Monopods, Bipods, and Tripods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roundball, Jan 28, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Love my monopods...have had a couple of very sturdy Bogen monopods for almost 30 years.
    Two benefits I prefer over my Bogen tripod is they are much taller, and 1000% more convenient to carry and use.

QUESTION FOR THE MEMBER BRAIN TRUST:

Does anyone make a good sturdy full size BIPOD ??
    (similar to those for shooting rifles while standing up, but with a tripod type adapter screw on top of course)

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Er does a tripod with removable monopod count? Since in theory the two legs remaining are a bipod :D

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've not seen one, but for anyone with access to a machine shop a suitable substitute is possible. Take a piece of aluminum bar stock, cut the bottom corners off to match the leg spread angle you're looking for & drill/tap for ¼-20 thread. Then on the top side install a ¼-20 thread stud to mount the camera.

Use any two monopods (hopefully the same size/brand/model) and you should be good to go. This is something I've been kicking around the back corners of my mind for some time. I plan to use trekking poles as the legs for mine.

A piece of 1" square stock 2-3 inches long should suffice and wouldn't weigh much in the bag.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The concept is right, but I'd wonder if there are any tripods so tall that the resulting 'bipod' would be tall enough for tall people, like a good full length monopod usually is.
    If no bona fide bipod can be found, that would be something worth exploring.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Now THAT sounds like a good idea...I think you should build one ASAP...LOL.
    (I think it would be desirable to have the 2 legs pivot back close together for storage & carrying)

And if it works and is tall enough, tell me how much would it cost for you to build one for me.
    :D

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I hope you're good at waiting- this has been kicking around those back corners for a looooong time.:)

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL
    On a serious note, as much of an accessory hobby that photography is, it does seem odd that no company has come out with one (that I'm aware of)...especially as I mentioned in my OP, since the concept of tall bipods for use in long range rifle shooting while standing up have been around for decades

8. JudyM

JudyM TalkEmount Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Maryland
    • Like Like x 1
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Can I adopt you ???...LOL

Not only is that a great bipod find, but the height is far taller than any monopod I've ever seen...and with the pivoting legs together, in essence it's a monopod that way to.
    Plus I saw they have a camera adapter accessory...worried the adapter might be bigger / heavier than I'd want to bother with but I'm definitely going to look into the tall bipod...might be that just being able to cradle my hand and/or camera body in the gun adapter would give me the increased stability I'm thinking of...or possibly be able to fashion a simple screw mount camera adapter like what normally comes on top of a monopod.

Thank you again...this has real promise
    ;)

PS: And they're available through Amazon for $79, not $109

http://www.amazon.com/Bog-Gear-Shoo...od+CLD-2+Camo+Legged+Devil™+Tall+BipodBog-Pod

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have seen one. It was used by a nature photographer and it was quite short and used lying down. It was used to photograph water birds.

It was done by welding 3 pieces of square steel tubing to A-shape and wasn't adjustable. Nowdays I would make one from carbon fiber tubing, epoxy and carbon fiber cloth.

I am thinking to build extension column to table top tripods for lightning purposes using carbon fiber tubing. Getting 1/4" UNC coupling nuts is pretty much impossible here in Finland. Probably I need to get a 1/4" UNC tap and make the coupling parts myself.

11. JudyM

JudyM TalkEmount Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Wow, I wonder how I missed something on Amazon :) I hadn't thought of using a bipod for a camera, but I think it's a neat idea. I have a nice Manfrotto Neotec 685B monopod that I love, but sometimes it's not quite enough, like when using the Canon 400mm on my Olympus E-M1 on a windy day. The bipod would be more stable than a monopod, and more portable than a tripod. I like this company's saddlebag mount, too. It might be nice for throwing over a fence rail, park bench back, tree limb, etc.

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree.....and with both legs side x side together it should still act like a monopod when used that way.

At any rate, I should have a better feel for it soon...Amazon is processing the order ;)