1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Modified Tripod Adapter for Extension Tube

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, May 31, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    With the history of Fotodiox tripod adapters being so weak, and on a recommendation last year, I upgraded to a CIECIO7 FD/NEX tripod adapter for the NEX-7 and after seeing how brutally strong it was, got another NEX-7 set up the same way…more expensive than Fotodiox but we get what we pay for and the CIECIO7 adapters are definitely high quality / hold a lot of weight. Tossed the Fotodiox tripod adapter in a parts drawer or something last year and forgot about it.

Fast forward 10 months and in getting ready to experiment with some macro photography this summer, I pulled out a Canon FD 50 Extension Tube I had. But when I tried to mount it on the CIECIO7 adapter, discovered that there’s apparently just enough difference in the tolerances of the twist lock flanges of the Extension Tube (compared to my entire inventory of Canon FD lenses) that they won’t allow the corresponding flanges on the CIECIO7 adapter to slide under them, therefore the tube can’t rotate and lock in place. Dug around some more and finally located adapter I still had after all, and was surprised to find that the Extension Tube fit OK…corresponding twist lock flanges on the Fotodiox are just enough smaller / thinner to let the tube rotate on.

But no way would I trust the weak failure prone Fotodiox tripod adapter to hold my lenses and remembering a thread on the NEX Forum from last year…I followed that suggestion, modifying / making the Fotodiox adapter much, much stronger by drilling / tapping for large 6-32” stainless steel screws…reinstalled the foot and large screws covered in Epoxy, all done in less than an hour. The weakness of the ridiculously small Fotodiox screws is obvious in the photo, compared to the strong stainless 6-32" screws I used for the modification. (got some lint on the adapter that I’ll rub / sand off after the epoxy cures solid). I'll just leave the adapter permanently installed on the Extension Tube.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    How has this been holding up, as I have some adapters that I want to do the same thing to.
    I tried making my own "foot", and found screws that matched the pre-drilled holes in the adapter.
    It works ok, but the day foot is to big. I remembered the in my junk drawer, I also have something I can use as a foot, but wanted to know how the glue is holding up.
    I can drill and tap the holes in the adapter, as you did, but want so thing permanent on all my adapters that did not come with a foot.

Thanks

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    What were/are the original screws made out of?

You may not have strengthened the joint as much as you think since the edge distance between the two newly threaded holes is lessened so much by the increase in diameter.
    I would have suggested a different 'fix' of only tapping one hole larger and changing out the remaining original screw to a known stainless screw type. The weakest part in this whole system of mounting is the fact that you're tapping into aluminum, IMO.

4. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    It did not come with any screws.
    The screws I used where steel screws from a laptop.
    They held well.
    The original holes on one mount are at very strange angles.
    One hole seems at a normal angle, where as the other hole us at quite a different degree. Calipers came in handy for helping determine the angle I needed to drill in my diy foot.

Used it for a couple of weeks, still have it, but not using it.

I will take your thoughts into consideration when I design my next foot.
    Unfortunately I got this from a friend, who through it in when I bought the NEX 5R, from him.
    No foot came with it originslky, and a search of the web does not show one coming with it, so it's curious that it has screw holes.

Thanks for the reply

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I rarely use that extension tube so based on usage it's only been used a few times...but its solid as a rock, and I've never known good epoxy not to basically last forever.

6. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    Thanks again.
    I have four adapters to work on, so I will have to be patient on this

7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Apologies Sam, I was addressing roundball's posted picture showing the small and large screws.

8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Yes, epoxy lasts a long time but, it may not be adhered to the base material as good as you think and it'll still 'appear' to be OK.
    Is there epoxy around the fillet where the base piece meets the round tube?
    Whenever we were using epoxy and aluminum we'd always sand off any anodize coating to make sure we were down to base aluminum. Cleaning was always a chore too as you can never be too clean either.
    Sorry, my aerospace life hasn't completely left me yet.

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Epoxy was dribbled into the holes and the screws were dipped in epoxy before being threaded in...its not coming apart.

10. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    Thanks AlwaysOnAuto.

I was going mention the fact of sanding away any paint on the aluminum, as that is what i was taught,but, you mentioned already.
    I also use Threadlocker on the screws.

okay, this project looks like it will be a go, when i get back to work next month. The work bench there is better than mine at home, at this point in time.

11. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    Roundball,

Thanks for re-igniting this project for me, I had given up on it.