Mobile photography?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by bmg123, Apr 8, 2013.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    I got a Nexus 4 this week to replace my aging iPhone 4; throughout it's life I took many photos, usually with a magnetic macro lens and generally I was really impressed with what it could do for such a small sensor. It was in fact my only camera for several years until I got my Panasonic SD90 and subsequently moving onto the NEX-F3 and 7.
    So I thought I'd share some photos taken with the two phones!

iPhone 4:

8023584732_6a18beef7b_c.

8023581124_532492191f_c.

8023571409_43d549f5a8_c.

8023702266_3b9db219a0_c.

8528555969_dd83cbc492_c.

So yeah, mostly macro shots...

Nexus 4:

8630692879_7eae485a6e_c.

Not sure which I prefer yet; Nexus 4 has advantage in resolution and details come out a little sharper but the iPhone seems to have better noise management.
    If anyone else has any mobile shots please share, no matter what phone!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I had an iPhone 4 for about two years. I never was happy with the stills image quality. Now I have an iPhone 5 (because the 4 died due to rain ...) and I'm quite happy. It's all the difference from 'just doesn't cut it' to 'good enough'. But yeah, I prefer carrying a NEX with me all the time anyways. ;)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I just upgraded from a iPhone 3GS to a 5 and it's criminal to even say the 3GS has a camera in it after seeing the photos from the 5.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Those of you who like shooting with your iPhone 5 may be interested in trying out this app. I have no connection with the developer (other than as a satisfied customer) but it's now my go-to camera app (after trying dozens over the years). It's the most "camera-like" app that I've tried, and has none of the wild effects that usually get larded into camera apps. You can easily set (and lock) focal and exposure points, plus it has a few nice-to-have features such as a live histogram, selectable on-screen grids, self-timer, night mode, and very little else.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Looks like an awesome app. Thanks for posting that! :)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice work. Mobile phones are quickly replacing basic point and shoots.

I get some descent ones if the conditions are nice.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Some pretty nice shots here ;)

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Very nice, I'm using also the iPhone5 when I don't have on my hands the nex, works perfect, using the app Procamera, is very nice

9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
  10. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Nice Colin, no matter which camera you have on your hands, you do very well anyway.

11. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
  12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, these certainly aren't artistic, but they do chronicle what I did with my morning. The headlight lenses on My '01 Ford Ranger pickup were so yellowed and pitted as to be nearly opaque. I picked up a polishing kit when I went to pick up my replacement driver's side mirror. This is after only ten minutes with the polish and my drill motor. I'll need to hit them again in about a week, but for today I moved to getting the mirror mounted while the weather was good.

Before & after with my iPhone 5.

light130409_01.

light130409_02.

I have driven the truck at rather sedate speeds at night because the brakes aren't as good as they once were and I couldn't see. My wife said that now that I can see I'll probably run into something because I can see to drive faster and I'll forget about the brakes. I hate it when she thinks she's right. :p

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nice find, thanks for sharing.

14. jarvan

jarvan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Czech
    Jaroslav
    I have a SGS II, I'm not happy with the quality of photos. I use only in case of an emergency.

Lefkada.

15. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    looking at canary wharf, London with samsung S2

15hbl92.

16. jarvan

jarvan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Czech
    Jaroslav