1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

mitakon 85mm f1.2 coming super soon

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Lisandra, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Like days soon.

mitakon85mm-f-1.2_large.

Thing is its supposed to come in ef, nikon and a mount only but my untrusty sources tell me its also coming in e mount. If it doesnt you can adapt it using the cheap laea3 mirrorless adapter. Unlike the batlens (the 50 f.95) this thing actually (kinda) has some competition out there. Both the ef 85 1.2s are stupid sharp wide open and the fd some claim to be sharper, albeit with more aberrations. Assuming the thing goea for less than (or at more or less) 1k$, it would have to beat the fd at least wide open to get some decent traction. I honestly dont see it happening, but mitakon has surprised me before...thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    ...again no auto focus.. and price for billionaires.
    good luck to mitakon

3. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    What???? I absolutely disagree on this. The 50 f.95 is the cheapest full frame 50 f0.95 lens EVER. And it manages to go toe to toe with the 10000$ counterpart!!!! A canon ef 85 1.2 is over 2000$ and the af is a useless afterthought on both versions (slow and inaccurate ). The rumor is that this will be close to 1000$, even it it goes all the way to 1500$ itll still manage to be the cheapest modern 85mm f1.2 ever. Out of the like 4 viable options you have btw..google the price of the ef 85 1.2, the plannar 85 1.2 and the otus 85 1.4, thats a true billionaire price. This lens will be a bargain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Completely agree. I understand that some people don't like MF lenses, but price is definitely not the issue here. Im eager to see how it performs.

The Rokinon 85 1.4 however breaks the mold a bit. Im about to grab it because of the cost and I don't have a MF lens in the 85-90mm as of now. It may not last forever but hard to not like the price of it. From what Ive seen its pretty darn sharp in the center where I care most.

5. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    Buy from a reputable seller on case you need to return it, i had a pretty bad copy and dismissed it as a soft lens. Since then ive seen some pretty good stuff

6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Mitakon already has 35mm f2, 85mm f2 and 135mm f2.8 lenses for Canikon/Pentax for sale from $164 to $200:

35MM f2
    http://www.amazon.com/Mitakon-35mm-...=UTF8&qid=1429152265&sr=8-29&keywords=mitakon

85mm f2
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1074301-REG/mitakon_mtk85mmbkfef_85mm_for_2_lens.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Mitakon-Zhong...m_sbs_p_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1346TJTVEXJPFS96BV9R

135mm f2.8
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1074304-REG/mitakon_mtk135mbkfef_135mm_for_2_8_for.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Zhongyi-Mitak...m_sbs_p_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G5EBEB7M3Z7H33JE25Y

A few user reviews are not too bad. The sizes might not be small given they are for dslrs and Samyang/Rokinon lenses have one stop adv... 85mm 1.2 should be interesting esp if it is close to 50mm 0.95 price and IQ...

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You purchase this lens to be used Wide or almost wide open and I think that no AF system is going to nail the focus sufficiently. I have a Samyang 85mm/1.4 and see no reason to have a half stop faster lens.

Samyang 85mm/1.4 is pretty cheap at around 300 € so I think that Mitakon one can't be very expensive. Of course if it is optically much better and a half stop faster there are people willing to pay quite much.

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I still disagree.. we think differently of photography I think.
    I wish you well on what you do
    Alex

9. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  10. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    Please point me in the direction of a cheap f1.2 lens
    Better yet, what do you think is a fair price for this lens?

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that manufacturing and planning costs are something like 2-3 times as much as for a 1.4 one. Less demand will increase cost still.

Reason being much more low dispersion class must be used, more aspherical surfaces and probably much more complex optical formula.

12. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
  13. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
  14. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    800 bucks...amazing...if the quality is at least where the 50 is at f1.2 (ish) its the bargain of the century. ..

Indeed. Just the calculations alone is a whole nother ball game. I saw this when my good bud let me fiddle with his optics design program, not really intended for camera lenses but the same principle. My first masterpiece was a 67mm f1 for m43s, it was easy enough, he explained that as designed it would be unusable at f1 all the way to f2. Point is, its not easy. And the bigger the aperture (and further from 50mm) the more dificult it is to design. Optical engineering isnt something you learn from wikipedia after all...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I did not talk about money at all and to be honest I do not see any interest if the price tag for a 1.2 lens is fair or not. It is more of how we understand the use of such a large aperture to photography.
    Have fun
    Alex

16. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    Well...yes you did...you said "price for billionaires" and so far you havent said anything about photography or the use of this aperture for photography. Please expand so i can understand what you mean

17. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    Samples

http://www.zyoptics.net/

They look amazing. Of the portraits and the dog are wide open this lens is a masterpiece

• Like Like x 4
  18. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi Lisandra,
    my point about billionaires is that I do not see the reason for using very large apertures in photography in general. I am mostly of the story telling apertures and I shoot 90% of my work with smaller apertures that f/4. I find that the very large apertures tend to be more of a marketing trick since is someting that customers need. This does not necessarily lead to good photography. Learning to use deep depth of fiels might look harder but allows you to learn more about composition and at the end tell a story with your shot. For me this is where I want to go.

Have fun whatever you do
    Alex

19. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Bit too expensive for me no
    I see another 1000 € going to be spent on lenses. These samples are stunning.

20. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I made a completely usable soft focus lens from a pair of menisculus doublets. It is too soft when stopped down 3 stops but pretty nice 4 stops down. These stops aren't really real stops as the body is a old 135mm lens and the aperture mechanism is in a wrong place. I will probably experiment blackening the front lens partially to get usable lens wide open.