Showcase Mitakon 35mm T/0.95 - around the house

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Poki, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Finally received my Mitakon 35mm this wednesday. Didn't have any opportunity to try it out, so I decided to just go around the house and have some fun playing with the lens.

Here are the resulting sample images. They are a bit post processed, but nothing which would take more than a minute to do.

Please note: These are just sample images to show off the quality of the lens. If you look for beautiful photographs, looks somewhere else.

These are ooc colors with just a little saturation added. Some vignetting added in post.

100% crop:

As you can see here, bokeh with smooth backgrounds is rendered pretty nice:

However, it's not so nice with super busy backgrounds. So choose your background wisely.

100% crop:

And some more of my dog. Just because.

100% crop:

Sometimes, the white balance didn't work accurately with this lens. I'm not sure why this is, but it's easily fixable as you can see with the image above. That's what the colors looked uncorrected:

So far, I'm pretty impressed. It's plenty sharp in the center, colors can be incredibly nice in some situations and bokeh is great if you choose your background wisely. Of course these are all things which you need to think of while composing an image, but once you know them, I'm pretty sure this lens can deliver stunning images. Can't wait to play more with it.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Some interesting qualities to the images, especially that first one.
  3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Love those B&W shots. Interesting lens for sure. :)
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Looks like an unique and capable creative tool.

Can really add some 3D pop to a shot. Thanks for sharing and hope to see more!
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Very nice. Where most of these shot wide open? I'd imagine this lens would be quite difficult to focus wide open
  6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Most were wide open, some at 1.4. It just wasn't possible not to overexpose in sunlight at those exposures, so I needed to bring the highlights back in most of these images.

Focusing is not that hard, actually. The focus ring is nicely weighted, so despite the average focus throw you always know exactly how much you need to turn your focus ring to achieve perfect focus. That, in addition with focus peaking, makes focusing the lens a joy. Sure, on moving subjects like my dog, it's a little hard, and I missed focus on many dog shots. But for subjects that don't move fast, or which move predictable so you can pre-focus, it's not too hard to get perfect focus.
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Those are some very nice photos!!! The center sharpness is spot great and the colors are quite nice ;)
  8. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Love the shots of your dog. Just because. ;)

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad