Mistakes I've made...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Oct 13, 2016.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Or..... How a good day for shooting got ruined by a dead battery.
    So I get done with mowing the lawns today and I'm getting ready to go down to the beach to do a little photographing. Figure they predicted high surf so it might be interesting. My wife is nagging me to get out of the house, so I hurry up and load up the bike and get out my 80-200 just in case I want to get up close to some of the waves. I get down there and park. Lock my bike to the car as I'm not interested in riding after the lawn mowing exercise (I'm lazy, what can I say?) and walk the 1/4-1/2 mile to the pier, taking some shots along the way. Once on the pier I'm really starting to get into it and am about to change lenses when the camera tells me the battery is exhausted. Opps. I guess I hurried a little too much. I haven't run out of battery enough times for it be ingrained in my planning ahead routine I guess. Oh well, I had a nice walk in the sun and while walking I got to thinking about some of the hardships I've read about others going through just to get a shot. Life could be a whole lot worse.

DSC06492.JPG

DSC06487.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You got some shots at least.
    • What about going out without a memory card in the camera and no spare in the bag? Had to go to a shop to get one (fortunately was doing street photography in the city center :)).
    • Or thinking I had a spare battery, only to discover that I forgot to charge it.
    • Or shooting without a memory card with the A7; fortunately the A7R2 can be configured to block shooting when no card is inside.
    • Or taking a tripod and forgetting to mount an Arca-Swiss plate to the camera.
    This will do for now. Will report on new exciting mistakes in the near future.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Been there, done those. Also: I've gone out with a shoulder bag full of lenses, but left behind the one lens I intended to use the most.

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I rather forget my old butt back home than being a 24/7 control freak.

5. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I had Ad's first mistake as well - card still in computer and no spare in my bag - on an open day at a monestry that does not happen frequently.
    Of course at such a location you have to watch your words, but I had a hard time to stay in control :dash2:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah been there and done those as well, so I'm in good company! ;)

Most frustrating of them was discovering you can shoot without a memory card. Lapse in attention resulted in a lost series of nice shots.

My battery mistake was assuming 2 batts would suffice all day while back in NYC for the holidays. The cold temps drained the batts before one afternoon was over.
    Had to jump on an uptown subway to find B and H Photo, in order to buy more batteries ASAP. Walking in there was like entering a camera geek's Disney World!
    I finally left there with my butt a little sorer after paying $40 for two of their aftermarket batteries. They would've costed ~$15 total on ebay! But they were fully charged and I managed to continue shooting into the evening. Lesson learned. You can never have too many batteries on hand with these Sony cameras. Especially during (sub) freezing temps.

The only additional potty mouth moment was packing a variety of vintage lenses, only to find out I grabbed the wrong adapter(s) for them once arriving on location to shoot.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I must say sir, being a QC lab tech (GMP) I have a problem with your attitude.:laugh1:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    My worst, and most frequent, mistake is what I consider the amateur's most unforgivable... forgetting to check all my settings before shooting, particularly ISO. I don't know how many times I have gone to shoot and have the camera set to an ISO from a previous event that is either way too high or way too low for the new situation; or with the A6000, the Auto ISO limits set too high on the low end or too low on the high end. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Bummer. Been there, done that.

FYI: You can charge your camera via the USB post and your cars 12V.

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Yeah shooting for ages before you realise no card in the camera!!!
    I've set my cameras not to shoot if there is no card now.

11. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Went on vacation, arrived, went on the deck to catch the sunset and found only lenses in the bag. The body was setting at home on the desk, 1500 miles away.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Sad Sad x 2
  12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm out right now feeling pretty stupid and pissed at the same time. I took the day off, drove an 1.5 hours only to realize I only have one battery. On top of that it's not even full. :doh:

I don't even know what else I'm missing because I switched bags at the last minute.
    :mad::doh:

• Sad Sad x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That sucks when you took the day off. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  15. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    So I decided it wasn't worth going back home. Even if I maintained the energy to drive an extra 3 hours, I would lose the light (a little secret; it's all about the light;)). So I had no choice, I had to work with what I had and just be judicious and enjoy nature. I was able to snap 150 shots before it gave me the dreaded, "Battery Exhausted" and shut down. 150 shots! and I felt so limited. What's funny is, I was thinking how did those guys do it back in the day with a roll of film? I mean mirrorless cameras get 200-300 shots on a battery and we all say that's what sucks about them. Lol

In the end, I think I got some nice ones. I'll post them soon.

• Like Like x 4
  16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I remember having to pack multiple rolls of film in a little lead-lined pouch (to get through airport x-ray machines without fogging the film) when I took off on long trips. And the other day I saw some guy whining on another forum about having to bring along a second battery. :boohoo:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Not taking my time to take off the Quick release plate and mount the camera on the table tripod.
    Should have brought my old mf nikors too :(
    Should have taken the time instead of wasting it on doing stupid, not even creative, unsharp shots.
    The best but still unusable :mad:
    DSC08376.JPG
    The one that where really well composed where even worse sharpness wise incl dof

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  18. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    ^ A sharp photo isn't always necessary to achieve a finely composed photo. The shot is still quite wonderful. Very artistic and excellent POV.

19. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Thanks Will