Mirrorless Camera Standard Zoom Shootout and Impressions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Phoenix, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Amin has done shoot out with standard zoom lens with a couple of Mirrorless Cameras including the Sony NEX in Serious Compacts, you can find the thread here.

Fair warning, pixel peeping will be involved :p

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks, Phoenix! Things move fast in mirrorless - Panasonic has left behind it's best performing kit zoom (14-45) and Olympus has improved theirs since I did that shootout. One thing remains true - Sony's kit zoom is both better and more compact than people say. Kit zooms aren't sezy, but they are important. Sony did very well in designing that lens IMO. Now all they need to do is take that optical performance and make it a powered, retractable design like the Panasonic 14-42 Power Zoom.

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the shoot out Amin.

I was surprised to see how much CA the SEL1855 has on those tests. I've set CA Correction to ON in my settings and have never noticed CA on my 'kit' shots. I've taken forgranted how well the in-built correction software works on my 5N.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I think they all have a lot of CA. I don't think I realized at that time that Panasonic was passing on CA correction data to Lightroom.