Minor irritations shooting to the A7rii from the E-M1

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by pdk42, Mar 25, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    I'm giving the A7rii a run alongside my m43 gear. In general, I'm very happy with the A7rii, but there are a few annoying things about its usage compared to the E-M1. Maybe you guys know of some workarounds?:

- Switching between the EVF and screen is clumsy on the Sony. I don't normally use auto switching, preferring to press a button to swap. I can do this with the Sony (setting a button to Monitor/Finder selection), but once I've switched to the EVF, everything is displayed there - menus, image playback etc. The Olympus sensibly (IMHO), uses the rear screen for these even if the EVF is active. I keep lowering the camera from my eye after a shot to press the play button to chimp only to have a black screen. I guess I'll get used to it...

- Moving the focus point on the Sony needs me to press a button first and then use the arrow keys. The Olympus moves the focus point straightaway.

- No way to select a focus home point. I leave the focus home on my Olympus on an intersection of the thirds grid and pressing as button always takes me there. I can't see any way to do this with the A7rii.

- Turning on the option to show exposure settings in the viewfinder also causes the lens to stop down. In dark environments and using a small aperture, this results in a grainy image in the EVF. The Oly shows exposure effects with the lens wide open.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi Paul, for your last issue you might want to turn off Display Settiings Effect. It's very helpful in dark situations. And even more when doing long exposures.

3. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Return select a focus to home point by pressing DELETE button.