Minolta, Takumar, or... ? 100mm & 135mm lenses (and now 55mm & 90mm macro, too)

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Here is an image of my daughter shot with the 135mm Meyer Gorlitz Orestor f/2.8 lens wide open on a Sony A6500...
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Here is a portrait of my daughter shot with the 135mm Meyer Gorlitz Orestor (same as Pentacon) on a Sony A6500...

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here’s a pic I got from the seller. Any idea what that yellow-ish glow might be?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Hard to tell what is yellowed. Could be where a coating wore away to brass underneath.

The spots are probably from over-agressive cleaning. This is more common on the front element though.

Does the seller have any guarantee about it being in good working order? Did they personally use the lens, or is it just passing through them as a reseller?

Here’s a pic I got from the seller. Any idea what that yellow-ish glow might be?View attachment 110152
I guess the seller used a yellow-colored flash light, watch the bright yellow spots on the rim(?) lower right. The diaphragm leaves don't seem clean, I think there's some oil on them. I have had a couple of old Minolta preset lenses that had thin leaves with oil on them and the leaves are prone to get in disarray when operating the diaphragm, the oil bends one or more of the leaves out of order when moving too fast.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Does the seller have any guarantee about it being in good working order? Did they personally use the lens, or is it just passing through them as a reseller?
Basically, I can return it within 14 days after purchase, but I think I'll give that one a pass.

The macro saga continues. Which of these 5 lenses would you go for? I've read about some of them and people label them as "legendary". I tend to take statements like that with a pinch of salt, though...

1) Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 Auto Macro 1:1
2) Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 (apparently, this is the - yet again - legendary Tokina-Bokina) Needs an adapter if one wants to get 1:1 reproduction
3) Panagor PMC Auto Macro 90mm f/2.8 (same as the Vivitar 90mm f/2.8?)
4) Vivitar 100mm F2,8
5) Kiron 105 mm 2.8 PK
EDIT: 6) Vivitar (Komine) MC 55mm f/2.8 Macro

I'll be looking for more info online on each of them, but your insights would be greatly appreicated!

Last edited:
Basically, I can return it within 14 days after purchase, but I think I'll give that one a pass.

The macro saga continues. Which of these 5 lenses would you go for? I've read about some of them and people label them as "legendary". I tend to take statements like that with a pinch of salt, though...

2) Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 (apparently, this is the - yet again - legendary Tokina-Bokina) Needs an adapter if one wants to get 1:1 reproduction
4) Vivitar 100mm F2,8
5) Kiron 105 mm 2.8 PK

I'll be looking for more info online on each of them, but your insights would be greatly appreicated!
None of them really. I've had the Kiron 2.8/105 and sold it the day I got the Minolta MD Macro 4/100. Much later I tried the Tokina 2.5/90 (your #2 option) and didn't like it; yes, creamy bokeh but contrast was fairly low. Since I got the fantastic Minolta MD Macro 4/100 I haven't had anything else that came close. Later on I got hold of the Minolta Auto Bellows Macro 4/100 which features the same optics in a housing without focusing helicoid nor lightmeter couplings; don't confuse this lens with the Minolta Auto Bellows Rokkor 4/100, which is downright mediocre.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will

4) Vivitar 100mm F2,8
5) Kiron 105 mm 2.8 PK

#4 and #5 are the same lens.
I only have the Series-1 90-f/2.5. The rest have been somewhat difficult to come by for a good price.
Another to include that I can recommend is the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 52BB. Can still be found at a bargain. I use it more than the Vivitar. An excellent lens.
Other macros I've got that performed well are Canon nFD 55mm f/3.5 and 100mm f/4 and 200mm f/4 Macro.
And a Nikon Nikkor 55mm f/2.8.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I loved my Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro lens and I still have it. It no longer works and a Tamron representative told me that fixing the lens would cost more than it is worth.
It will not stop down when shot. All exposures are at f/2.8...
However, I paid only 90-dollars for the lens well over 10 years ago and I have no regrets regarding purchasing it...
The reason I have not disposed of this lens is that I may try it for outdoor portraits at f/2.8 just for fun...

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Things have taken an unexpected turn... I've just pulled the trigger on the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 105 mm f/ 2.8 Lens ... It's gonna cost me around 75USD. I just hope it's a decent lens. Something tells me the Orestor/Pentacon 100mm f/2.8 would have been a better choice (those 15 blades!). I can still withdraw my offer, so any and all thoughts on this matter would be great to hear. By the way, any idea what kind of lens hood would fit on a lens like this?

A few pics of the Takumar:

9ac4fda8431ea43c53c862605932.jpg
460e282345ae95458606b2207cb5.jpg
4731ce1e40ab8c2fe0308ce7d540.jpg
a3306c164269a04fae0ee1cd26d8.jpg
c7897de14653983b3f1581b82e76.jpg
c79960d44f30a15b3e8d362de493.jpg
ee5a170643808ce81850c9383152.jpg

Also... one guy here is selling the Minolta MD Macro 4/100 macro but he wants around 150USD for it. No idea if that's a good price or not.

Attachments

Last edited:
Also... one guy here is selling the Minolta MD Macro 4/100 macro but he wants around 150USD for it. No idea if that's a good price or not.
Here in The Netherlands I would expect to pay close to € 150, so $150 seems like a fair price. The lens came with a 1:1 extension ring, buy it with the lens if you want one because they can be a bit hard to get and overly expensive while lenses with extension rings are not that much more expensive. Same goes for the hood that also came with the lens when bought new.

MWhite

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
My Pentax-M 50mm macro’s front lens is so deeply recessed that a hood is not needed; it may also be true for the Takumar. My Pentax D-FA 100mm 2.8, on the other hand, takes a fairly deep hood. (BTW, the Takumar looks good.)

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
The Takumar 100mm f/2.8 has a 49mm filter thread. and aftermarket screw-on hood of 2" depth will work well. There are also some fancier spring-clipped hoods. But I've found the all-metal screw-on variety to suffice and cheap. They do a nice job of protecting the lens from bumps, unlike a collapsible soft rubber hood.

The Orestor will have the better yield of bokeh from its 15 blades. But it's likely an older design with single-coated optics, unlike the latter Super Multi-coated optics.
The Pentax should be a smaller lens too.

The blades have a matte finish, and old lenses can have wear in marks across the blades from usage. Oil is when these areas appear shiny slick, and sometimes, pooling of oily residue can be visibly detected. The blades will be slow to spring into position.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Update - the Takumar deal fell through. I discussed a few things with the seller and a few alarm bells went off.

So... back to square one. In all honesty, if I had enough spare change right now, I'd just get one of the native lenses, but I'm saving for the Tamron 70-180mm and in the meantime I thought: why not dip my toes into the world of legacy lenses? Thing is that I'd rather buy something that truly kicks a... (forgive me the choice of words) rather than something that I might want to sell after half a year. Maybe I'm setting my expectations too high here.

I've found a few interesting lenses here and there... One of them is the Tair 11a 135mm f/2.8. Apparently it's amazingly sharp...

I know that 100mm and 135mm lenses are predominantly used for portraits, but I'd like to use them for landscapes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom