1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta Rokkor zoom

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 7, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have never been much of a Minolta fan. I never had anything against them I just and not ever used their gear. Well, recently I got some in a trade and I have to say I have been vey impressed. I also did some reading about the Leica/Minolta cooperation and that a few lenses (Minolta design) made their way into the Leica's R line. The ones I had heard about before were the MD 24/2.8, MD24-50/4 and the MD 35-70/3.5 (both macro and non macro versions). I have a nice 24/2.8 already so i decided to go with one of the zooms. So far my experience with using adapted zooms has been good but not great. I used an OM 35-70/3.5-4.5 with close focus and while it was pretty nice for what it was I never thought it was great. Then again that was with m43 and I think adapted lenses are a lot more fun with the NEX.

So, I found a nice 35-70/3.5 macro and decided to give it a go. It should arrive in about a week (it's coming from the U.K.) and I'm excited to see what it can do. From everything I have read the 35-70 is very similar in performance to the primes between 35-50. I tend to shoot in that 4-5.6 range anyway so the fact that it's not a fast lens shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll check back when it arrives and post some samples. In case anyone is interested the Leica version runs about $400 used. This one was just a bit over $40. I also understand that they are identical optically. Should be a fun.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Kevin I had the opportunity to buy a mint copy for 35€ shipped, and chickened out at the concept of an MF zoom. I hope you enjoy the lens, keep us posted about it !

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

I have a 2.0 45mm Rokkor that is one of my favorite lenses. Takes probably the best pictures of the lenses I own.

4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I was pretty iffy about it as well but my experience with the other Rokkors has been very good (and the general consensus is that it is a very good lens) so I decided to take a chance. I probably wouldn't have gone for the non macro version but the ability to get to get closer than 1m MFD was appealing. I'll make sure to give a full report.

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    See the archive thread: https://www.talkemount.com/f39/minolta-35-70mm-f-3-5-md-macro-984/
    I wish the archive sub-forum is sorted in alphabetical order like the m43 one.

I like the 35-70mm f/3.5 macro. I recently also acquired a Minolta MD 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5. Need to try it out.

Quite often, I pair a MF zoom with a prime. Works pretty well.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    If you get the opportunity, try the Rokkor-M 40mm f2, it's quite a good sise for the NEX and peforms really well (it's pretty much a rebadged Leica Summicron) it was one of the lenses Leica contracted Minolta to manufacture when Minolta was still in business.

btw, if you do decide to get one, make sure you get the CLE version

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    now I have two Minolta Rokkor F1.7 and 50mm f/1.4 are excellent and I threw some pictures with these lenses and as you mention despite your low price, you get a lot of fun, high contrast and focus.
    Minolta 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5. I've been tempted by this lens too, hope to see some results soon, I'm waiting for my adapter to use the Olympus 28mm (from Kevin) and a vivitar 28mm , were supposed arrived today but as it started to snow, I think I have to wait a few more days

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Nice stuff. I'm looking forward toward getting it.

9. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Look forward to hearing what you think of this lens. It's one of my favourites, but I mainly use it for close-ups and macro (with a Raynox 150 for the latter as it's not a proper macro lens). Mine was only £20 in excellent condition apart from some cleaning marks on the front element which are right against the side so don't seem to affect IQ at all.

The only downside is the size and weight, which is why I don't use this much as a walk around zoom. I am not sure if there is a perfect walk around manual focus zoom though - they all seem pretty heavy. For a walk around lens I would rather stick on a nice and small/light 28mm like the Vivitar or Canon FD and then take a 50mm legacy along too in case I want the extra length. Or the kit lens 18-55 which gives you the wide angle too.

There is an AF version of the 35-70 lens which is also good and much, much smaller and lighter! I have used it on a borrowed A35 (no adapter needed as it's Minolta/Alpha mount) but to use it on a Nex you would need the expensive LEA2 adapter - which would give you AF of course - but in any case it would probably be horrible to focus manually I think, with a small focus ring. It's also constant f4 aperture instead of the 3.5 on the manual version. Minolta*AF 35-70 F4*2551-100 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    My two zooms

I have two zooms that I just love.

The first one is a 3.5 70-150mm Vivitar with Macro mode.
    Hin's Tech Corner: Kiron 70-150mm f/3.8 and 2x matched mulitplier

I love this lens, but the starting point of 70mm precludes me from using this one without taking a smaller prime along.

The second one is a 3.5 28-70mm Tokina, also with Macro mode.
    Tokina 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 SZ-X MF Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

This lens is very light weight for it's size and has a very usable range for a walk around, with only the limitation for stopping at 70mm.

11. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Actually, the macro version (the one I have) is marked as "MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5", no Rokkor in the name. Those with Rokkor(-X) in the name are all non-macro version.