Minolta Rokkor-X MD 24/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 16, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I just picked this lens up to use with my NEX 6. Previously I had a Minolta MC 24/2.8 and with the exception of being a lot lighter (the MC 24/2.8 was like carrying around a shot put) they produce remarkably similar images. Rumor had it that the Minolta 24/2.8 also ended up being sold as a Leica R 24/2.8 as well. I'm not saying their equivalent but I do think that it's an awfully nice lens and makes for a nice 36mm EFL walk around lens on an APS-C camera.

19734738585_b68beb9f07_b.
    a cry unto heaven by kevin dixey, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Good first image, looks like a nice lens.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    This is one of the Minolta MD lenses that get some very good reviews and that's a great photo ;)

4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    • Like Like x 3
  5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I have the same lens, don't tend to use it much for shots like that. I should more, because actually, the close focus and bokeh of the lens is really great for a wide angle.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I realize I don't use 24's the way most folks do. I'm not sure why but I tend to be more interested in the stuff that's closer and that most folks just walk right by. I really appreciate lenses that can close focus even moderately well.

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I began use some minolta lenses a few years ago and those lenses worked perfectly with my nex5n, so sharp, good contrast. I own the 50mm f1.7 and 1.4, and 28mm f2.8, the lens is a rock.

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have always thought that Minoltas matched up really well with Sony cameras and in the back of my mind I have always imagined Minolta as the perfect match because Minolta lenses formed the basis of the lenses for the Sony Alpha DSLRs.

Freddy, how do you like the 28/2.8?

9. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Actually, I guess I do take similar shots with my MD Rokkor 35mm F2.8 + Speedbooster combo, I use that a lot for food photography. It has a similar look to it, and about the same FOV as you have with the 24mm.

When you have the 24mm on a full frame camera it is a very different beast.

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I agree, on APS-C 24mm and 28mm become normal lenses and that suits e just fine. Honestly if I had a FF I probably wouldn't know what to do with the 24.

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I don't typically go back to the same subject so quickly but today was a little different...

19867582772_b538a04992_b.
    in mid furl
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I just want to point out that all I did was add a bit of vignetting and just the tiniest bit of micro-sharpness. I am finding the color and sharpness of the MD 24 to be most agreeable.I even did some more landscapey kinds of shots. They were middle distance stuff (which is as landscapey as I am likely to get) and they were quite nice. I might even try a few more.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Beautiful colors!

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011

I've never seen a sunflower at that stage before opening. Lovely!

14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Clearly I am not missing Fuji colors. The Minolta/Sony combo is very nice.

15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    [QUOTE="dixeyk,

Freddy, how do you like the 28/2.8?[/QUOTE]

Well the this lens, 28mm focal length is a handy length for the landscape, is very sharp and contrast is ok like i said before, wide enough to fit in an expanse of scenery, but not so wide that the grandeur and details of the scene are diminished by the effect of perspective. l like the SP so i'm not a big of landscape shots, and still wide enough to achieve striking perspective when used effectively, i did some good pics so tomorrow will share with you guys.

the size is very small so it fits in the bag to carry it in case some opportunity to use it , I searched the 28mm f / 2 the optical apparently is better.

16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin