1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by teefin1, Nov 11, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    ...ok, it cost me a tenner, but I'm interested to know of others experience with this lens. Good, bad....ugly?

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Great !
    I have both the 1.7 and 1.4 version of the lens, and both are excellent. My (with slight fungus presence) MD 50/1.7 is mounted on my NEX this very minute. It's a great little lens, really.

3. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Fab news! I saw your post on the 1.4 and, given the nex 7 blowout, thought I'd check out the 1.7. Peaking on the 7 seems weak in comparison to the 5n with my Helios, do you find that the Minolta's peak well Nianys?

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yes, both my Rokkors peak very well, and Dixeyk, who caused me to look at them in the first place, is saying his (he has several as well), do too. I'd say Peaking is really similar on the N and 6, but yes very decreased in the EVF. Let me quickly PP a few pics and I'll post them within one hour.

5. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thank you, I'm so glad of your input :)

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep, they both peak well and while I prefer the 1.4 the 1.7 is also terrific. I have read that some folks prefer the 1.7 saying it's a bit sharper and has less distortion. I have never bothered to compare the two that closely. I will say that while I am selling off almost all of my other fast 50 lenses I opted to keep my 50/1.4 AND 50/1.7

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Don't mean to take this thread off-topic but I also just paid for my MD 50 1.7 (thanks nianys ;)) and I'm very unpatient to try it out as soon as it arrives!!!

In the meanwhile I'm looking for an adapter mount.
    I'm typing "MD to Nex adapter mount" on ebay.co.uk and get about 90 results but prices range from 7gbp to the very expensive 80+gbp (the average seems to be around 10-25gbp).
    Can somebody explain the difference and advice which adapter I would be better off (ie. if I buy the cheap 10gbp adapter you think it would be ok?)

Thanks ;)

8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Nick, there is very little difference, and I stronly advise you to buy a cheap adapter. Go to ebay.com and snatch one for about 12$, which is 10€. They all come and ship from Hong Kong anyway ! They are so cheap I'm going to order a second one JUST because I don't like the one I have, cosmetically speaking.

Now, for teefin1, here are three very quick shots I selected without having seen the whole series I shot tonight. I think the 1.7 is a little easier to nail focus with than the 1.4 stopped down to 2. Color rendition is absolutely indentical, sharpness and saturation might be ever so slightly superior on the 1.4 wide open, but the differences are negated once you stop down a notch or two.

Nick, those pictures are made with the copy I'm keeping because it has little fungus inside. Your copy is on par, but focus ring is nicer. All shots WIDE OPEN, pp'ed in Photoshop, and sharpness is enhanced very, very little. For info I usually sharpen at around 15%, those shots are at 6% and less...

fa8fcca7bc40b5a5610d7113061ea69e_0da.

5594b12bd5b1ebe1be1503bfc2622b6b_0da.

bdd68e1aa4e377d4fbbe3e4c946bf97b_0da.
    Very pleased with this last one...

The slight vignetting and borders are added in Snapseed.

enjoy.

9. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    That's a good question nick, I opted for the 9.99 adapter, but will take a few days to arrive, so can't offer any advice right now. Thank you dixeyk, I'm excited to receive mine and hope I can post some sensible pics soon :)

10. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I buy my adapters from rainbowimaging and have been very happy with their products and service. The adapters typically run around $20 USD. Of course most chines made adapters are all the same so I would choose a vendor that ships quickly. I use rainbowimaging because they ship out of New York so I get stuff pretty quickly.

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    For comparison, quick shot with the 1.4 at F2 :

dc04614cdaac8d1742c05c68a4e91541_a9a.

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, I also choose to buy this from a vendor in UK (not China since that would take atleast 2 weeks to arrive here)

So, most of those (at least the cheap ones) are all made in China, right?

13. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks for that Nianys, I really like the last one too.

14. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    This was the first legacy lens I got for my nex and I like it a lot - I have tried quite a few different lenses since then but Minolta lenses are still probably my favourite. The 50mm f1.7 is not the best 50mm 1.7 at 1.7 (edges can have a kind of a 'glow' and are soft) but at anything higher than that (well at least until diffraction kicks in) it is nice and sharp with good colours. (Not that any 50mm I have tried is razor sharp wide open - but some of the others are a bit sharper wide open than the Minolta and don't have that glow).

There is a review of the lens here: Photototo: Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 - Legacy 50mm. Which one is the best? Part 3

£10 is a bargain for this lens. :)

15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Bump (I don't want to start a new thread so I'll post my Q's here - hope that's ok)

After reading some reviews about the cheap (chinese) MD to Nex adapters (that are all over ebay) that some had issues with them (ie.coming loose after some time and thus can cause problems to the lens and either not focusing to infinity or focusing beyond infinity), I'm having second thoughts about whether I should buy one of those or invest in something better...
    (I think cheap adapters issues was also mentioned in Steve Huff's Nex-7 review I read recently)

The Novaflex one that seems to get the most good reviews is out of my price range by a lot...
    The next best adapter I could find is the Fotodiox one (sold on Amazon)

Anyone can give some advice and/or other reccomendation?

TIA
    -Nick

16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I'm sticking with my advice for Rainbowimaging or Fotga. I never heard of issues with those two.

17. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Fotodiox adapters aren't any better than the cheap Chinese ones I think. I've had one of them, a shift adapter, and it's a piece of junk. I use the cheap ones all the time, I have about 10 of them. Each and every adapter I received needed the screws in the lens bayonet to be tightened. I've never had mechanical issues with them; if you don't trust it, check the screws every now and then, I've needed to retighten them after the first time. My first adapter caused too much flare, so I ditched that one and switched models, no issues after that. I have one Novoflex for Nikon F and that stuff is indeed in a different league, very nice, sturdy and precisely made, but also spendy as you said.

In short: no need to be afraid of these cheap chinese adapters IMHO. I have the impression that more than 99 out of 100 people buy these for legacy lenses.

18. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Agreed - never had any problems with the cheap Chinese ones - apart from 1 or 2 needing screws tightened a bit to ensure a more snug fit of the lens mount to the adapter. I have 2 Fotga ones (Pentax -Nex and Canon FD -Nex) and a whole bunch of no name brand ones (Olympus OM - Nex) (Minolta MD - Nex) (Yashica C/Y - Nex) etc and most of them came from the same seller: big_is / weakpotoman (2 accounts but it's the same person). When I ordered the wrong adapter once by mistake they were also very quick to respond and happy to change the order. The only 'issue' is the delivery times if you are in a hurry to use the lens. :) Some of mine have arrived in 10 days, others have taken up to 3 weeks or even a month in one case - they all got here in the end though.