• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Minolta Rokkor 35mm f1.8 -- Anyone tried this lens?

lowincash

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kin
I just bought this lens from ebay, so was wondering if anyone has or tried this lens before. I was originally going to get the Sony 35mm f1.8 but after some thought I didn't want to spend so much on a lens so I looked at this rokkor lens. I like the 35mm (50'ish FOV) so I'm really looking forward to trying it out :D Doesn't look like many people use this lens.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
sounds great, I personally like those lenses, the Rokkor lenses works very good, I hope you can give us an opinion about this lens on the page of Rokkor, Kevin has done a few days ago...., well hope some you can share some examples , while I'm testing some lenses, has come my daptador m42

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I saw one of those on eBay and it was priced pretty high - almost as much as the new Sony lens! If I could score one for cheap I'd be happy to try it, but if prices are similar, I think I'd rather use the Sony.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
I saw one of those on eBay and it was priced pretty high - almost as much as the new Sony lens! If I could score one for cheap I'd be happy to try it, but if prices are similar, I think I'd rather use the Sony.
My sentiments exactly. It also looks pretty large which gives the Sony lens another plus

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
FWIW I'm currently trying a few 35mm f/2s, a couple of which are very heavy and bulky.

lowincash, congratulations on getting a good deal on the 1.8 - do please share some sample images!

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
FWIW I'm currently trying a few 35mm f/2s, a couple of which are very heavy and bulky.

lowincash, congratulations on getting a good deal on the 1.8 - do please share some sample images!
Earlier this year I had the opportunity to grab an Hexanon 35/2 in Konica AR mount, EE version. Those usually retail for around 250/300€, but the auction never took up much and I snatched it at a ridiculous price.
While I haven't been overly impressed by all the other KAR lenses I tried, this one was a gem. Very contrasty, peaking like crazy (had to use the Low peaking setting to get optimum benefit), beautiful saturation and sharp, sharp, sharp ! I sold it because it was BIG and heavy, and seemed to want a good deal more light than other closely specified lenses in similar conditions. I bought the PEN F 38/1.8 from Dixeyk and it was instant love, the Hexanon got listed (with a fair profit, though I could have made a much higher margin) and was sold within a day. I think today if I wanted a 35/1.8 I'd buy used Nikon G (they go pretty cheap) with an adapter, and fire away. The AF-S Nikkor 35/1.8 is insanely sharp and a great little lens that sells used for not that much money (I can pick one up on Le Bon Coin for about 130€ any day of the week, and probably bargain free shipping as well).

lowincash

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll definitely post some shots once I get it, hopefully in a couple of days. I'm not really sure if it's a good deal or not, paid $260 for it. Most I've seen ranges from $200 to $400 price range. I think the lens would be pretty hefty, it was described as "Lots of quality steel and glass in this one pound lens!" lol I also looked into the Canon FD 35mm f2 lens which I've read is quite a sharp lens but there's something about these minolta lenses that I like, can't really say what it is but I like these lenses =/

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yeah, I've shot the FDn 35/2 and Thorium FD 35/2 and preferred the FDn - image-wise I could barely tell them apart, but handling-wise the FDn was just so much better because the Thorium FD was HEAVY

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
$260 is certainly a better deal than the one I spotted for $450. Sounds like you've got the same speed, you've got the Minolta colors, you've got some "handling joy" (as nianys put it) and an extra $200 cash! Way to go! :)

lowincash

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm glad at $260 it's a good deal :D

Well I got the lens a few days ago, haven't used it much. Lens is a bit bigger than expected but not too bad. After using it for a bit, don't think I really need the SEL3518 unless I really need to have AF. This lens is a wee bit soft wide open but it's pretty sharp stepped down a bit.

---            

---            

---            

I think the shadow pic is a bit out of focus, was trying to focus on the ground using the LCD screen with sun right above me =/

Latest posts

Top Bottom