1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[Minolta Rokklr 50/1.4] Will these scratches affect the picture significantly?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Aaronius31, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Just received the lens and was wondering if these marks are significant enough to where I should return it. I paid $45 for the lens and the seller didn't specify they were on it, which was a risk I was willing to take for $45. I have an adapter coming in Wednesday but would like to know if I should just return this now or not. My question is, are these bad enough to where they will affect the picture significantly?

35a0rd3.

3027tae.

From the camera-side loking outward towards the front of the lens:
    rrnped.

Thanks!

2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Scratches/marks on front element usually does not matter much. The ones on rear element will affect picture quality more.
    For $45, you should be able to get a better one. I remember seeing BGN one at KEH for less than that. And KEH BGN is definitely in better condition than this.

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    That's such a great lens, it's worth spending the extra to get a EX or better copy. You'll find that you will use it enough to justify the cost.

4. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks for the input guys! I contacted the seller to return it (he gave 14day return policy) and listed the problems with it thathe didn't list in the descrption, and this is the response I get:

Now thats the first time a seller offered a refund to me and didn't want the item back. Well hey, I'm not complaining! Will use the $45 to buy another better condition one.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ha! That's a first! :)

I bet you're not the first buyer to reject it, and the seller just got tired of taking it back and re-listing it.

Maybe, once you find something better with which to replace it, you can offer it up here as a contest lens, à la the "fungus" lens. :p

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Once you get a good one, you can really tell us how much the scratches affect picture quality.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Speaking of which, I have yet to see any pics from either the "fungus" lens or the "doorstop" since they've found new homes. [hint, hint]

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same thing and response happened to me a few weeks ago...
    Bought an MD 135mm f/3.5 and found some minimal dust inside, which the seller didn't list as an issue.
    Contacted the seller and told him about it - he agreed for a full refund and without sending the item back.
    However, I didn't accept it, cause I like to consider myself an honest buyer and getting a full refund would sound like I'm trying to rip him off and get free stuff (the lens is still very usable) - so I told him to offer a partial refund (half the amount before shipping) which sounder more fair to me ;)

9. Micke

Micke New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2013
    Sweden
    Here's a interesting article about front lens scratches Dirty lens article
    I was surprised with what you can get away with.

10. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks Micke! Yeah so the scratches didn't show up AT ALL in my pictures no matter what settings I used. Sme test shots I was rushed to take:

2lo22dv.

35iokzo.

1115lrs.

Going to start buying scratched lenses now and save even more money!

11. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    Yeah, the scratches will show up only if you use a higher aperture value. Normally f8 and above will get affected by scratches on lens especially the the scratches on the bottom of lens. Even the dust particles on the sensor display the same behavior.

12. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I believe that there is another potential issue with scratches, which is that it increases the tendency of the lens to flare when shooting toward light.

If my memory is correct, one of tricks that is claimed to minimize that problem is to use a black marker on the scratched areas and wipe the marker off the lens surface before it dries, leaving the marker only in the depths of the scratches. I have never had cause to try this myself, so I do not know from personal experience if this is a valid tip or is an urban legend.

- Tom -

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Sounds like you got a freebie in the end - for a perfectly usable lens.
    Man, I'd hate to be the seller...

14. Purushotham Racharla

Purushotham Racharla TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Bangalore, India.
    Purushotham Racharla
    Well as far as I know a scratch actually scatter light falling on it in an undesirable way. But ifyouu can paint the scratch with a plack paint and with thin enough tool there is no way it can scatter light. Contrary to common belief scratch show up as a scratch on image is incorect. It is to be rememberd that every point on the lense forms its own whole image, and light from all points superimpose making the final picture. Therfore by having a scratch all that you loose is some effectrive area. I havent tried my self painting on lense.

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. :)

16. Purushotham Racharla

Purushotham Racharla TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Bangalore, India.
    Purushotham Racharla
    A scratch has its effect on light passing thruogh, but it is never significant as to show up on photos, even a big scratch too. Stop worrying and start using.

17. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Scratches usually don't show up in your pictures unless maybe with an extremely short focal length (circular fisheye) at small apertures, and even then maybe not. I once had a Nikkor 28/2.8 lens that had a severe scafe (2x2mm) on the rear element and that caused flare in scenes with strong backlight. Other than that, none of my lenses having scratches like the one shown by the OP, ever gave me problems. I regularly have picked up user lenses with small lenses for a low price and never regretted it.

18. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Purushothams explanation is important. A physical scratch will affect the the whole picture, not show up as a defined mark. You don't know quite how much performance degrades unless you create a perfect comparison test with a mint lens. But I know this: tolerances in optics are minute and the difference between a stellar lens and a dud is only a whisker. As you want your optics to give the optimal picture, it defeats the purpose to use damaged lenses. Besides, most photographers are pedantic to some degree. The mere knowledge that your lens is not as good as it could be, can ruin the photographic experience from a psychological standpoint.

If you are into photography to save money (a contradiction in terms!), then by all means buy damaged lenses. But if you want good photographic tools, spend a little more to get the good stuff.

19. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks for the insight Jaf! A quick follow up on how the lens is performing, it is working flawlessly except that when at large depths of field (f/10) you can see a mark on each bokeh circle but its not really noticeable and I don't really use the lens at that focal length. So all in all, its working out great as a budget-friendly, minorly-damaged lens. Here are some pictures I've taken with the exact lens I posted in this thread.

20. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Oh, it's only my opinion, free to discard ;)