1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 35mm 1:2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Jefenator, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Worthy for the A7? I think so!

minolta-35-5.

I'd heard good things about this lens but my past experiences with legacy wide angles left me with modest expectations.

I was very surprised to find that this little lens does pretty strong corners, all the way from wide open!

minolta-35-1.

That's not a wide open shot - here's one:

minolta-35-7.

Definitely serviceable for portrait duty, though my old Leitz Summicron-R offers nicer BOKEH and more of it:

minolta-35-6.

The Leitz is a heavy, bulky old beast and I was hoping this inexpensive and very small Minolta might be able to replace it for landscape duty. Extensive A/Bing resulted in a draw.

minolta-35-2.

minolta-35-3.

This should hold me over until I can afford the Sony/Zeiss 35mm. Who knows - I might even just stick with this!

• Like Like x 5
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    One of my favourite Rokkors, great little lens. Handles really well on the Nex 5R.

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Love those last two, Jeff, especially the sunset.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Agree :)

I also have this lens but for some strange reason it never really did it for me :confused:
    It might be the fact that in the end of the day I think I'm more of a zoom lens guy (that though doesn't change the fact that my all time favorite lens is the MD 50 f/1.4 :D )

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Well, I just had to go ahead and get an MD 50/1.4 on eBay. Thanks a lot, Nick. ;)

I'm looking to switch to all Minolta MD glass for my landscape roaming (no more farting around with multiple adapters - imagine that). One thing that impresses me about the newer 49mm filter stuff is the colors. They seem more vivid, without any weird tints that need correcting. I've already tried out 4 different Minolta nifty fifties over the years - I'm hoping this will be The One.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NightBird

NightBird TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2014
    I recently picked up a MD 28mm 2.8 and a MC Rokkor 50mm 1.4 for my A7. Very happy with both, and looking forward to finding some more of these gems.

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    This is something that they say about the later MD lenses.

I use my 50 mainly for portraits, I do hope it does the job you want it for (landscape) ;)

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Totally agree. Very pleasing to the eye.

I don't think you will regret the MD 50 F1.4! Great in low light, I took this in pretty much candle light:

14093418573_a2c9644f6c_z. DSC01526 by Jai Sbr, on Flickr

I just disassembled mine and cleaned it, turns out, not that hard!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The MD 50/1.4 is a great lens, especially since I got mine for $12 at a thrift shop. :D

Tony

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The big question is if its as good for landscape work as it is for portraits though....guess we'll find out Jeff's impressions soon :D