1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm 1:1.4 VS Minolta MC Rokkor-X 50mm 1:1.4 DIFFERENCE?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by henkeers, May 7, 2013.

1. henkeers

henkeers New to TalkEmount

Apr 18, 2013
    Hi,

I've found a MC Rokkor-X 50 1.4 for a good price. But I saw somebody on this forum post pictures taken with MD Rokkor-X 50 1.4.

What's the difference?

Thanks!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The MD lens can control the aperture on newer Minolta bodies, the MC cannot. On a NEX body, there is no difference.

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    There is a comprehensive list of manual Minolta lenses. It shows many things, including identification features and differences in optical formula:

Minolta Manual Lens List

As a general rule of thumb the optical difference is the greatest between very early MCs and very late MDs. For most purposes the mid-70s to early 80s lenses are the better ones.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Haven't compared my MC directly against a MD but it is my current favorite fast 50. Sharpness and character sums it up for me.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have both. The MC (Rokkor-X PG) is sharper and contrastier at larger apertures, it's especially good at f/2 where it is sharp across the frame (mine at least). Surprisingly enough it is sharper in the center at apertures around f/5.6 but corners are not super-sharp (still very good though). It's my favourite 50mm for low-light for which I might as well glue the aperture at f/2.

The MD (Rokkor-X) with 55mm filter thread has a different character: it is very soft wide open, but all the detail is there. It needs stopping down to f/2.8 to get contrasty across most of the frame and it's fantastic at f/4...f/8, perfectly sharp across the frame, very nice colours, no distortion and no CA. It's a little bit lighter than the MC. I guess I've been lucky with this sample I don't intend to try another one unless I stumble upon one that's part of a set. This is my favourite 50mm for landscapes and other photography with good light for middle apertures.

The later MD lenses with 49mm filter thread, Rokkor or plain MD, are a little less desireable. I have one good sample, which is quite good at f/2 but not as good as the MC and also not as good around f/5.6 as the MD mentioned above. I've also had samples of this type that were not good, not very sharp and contrast was lacking, meaning the images didn't look crisp.

6. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    MC and MD are pretty much interchangeable designations for Minolta mount from the early 1980s. I use both.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Aren't the MC lenses generally larger/heavier than their MD counterparts?

8. GaryR60

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Nah, about the same, really. Both are pretty heavy.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, now I know. ;)

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yes. The MC 50/1.4 is 305g, the MD lenses are between 220g and 245g, depending on the model (4 different types, see lens index of Dennis Lohmann).

11. GaryR60

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Did you actually weigh them? ;)

12. GaryR60

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Frankly, I can't tell the difference when handling them.

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    No, I was lazy and used the figures from Dennis Lohmann's list. I must admit though I have weighed lenses before. :)

14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've weighted a lot of MDs myself and can tell you for sure that that list is pretty accurate ;)
    Reason I did so was because I decided on a max weight for lenses I'd buy for my Nex, since even 200g more and you can "feel" it in the handling of such a lightweight/not the best grip camera as the Nex...

However, perhaps the weight difference between the MC 50 1.4 and MD 50 1.4 (85-60g) is not that critical...

15. GaryR60

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Well, after lugging it around a few hours, 100 grams or so more won't make much difference. ;)

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    100 gm here, a pound or two there. It all adds up at the end of a long day schlepping photo gear around. ;)

17. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    here is a small review of this lens,The Adapted Rokkor I sold the 50mm f/1.7 and keep the MC 50mm f/1.4 , mine is very good copy, for that reason want to keep , although it is a bit heavy, is pure metal.

18. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, it does. Weight is almost as important as good corner sharpness (for a lens; I generally consider corner sharpness of a tripod irrelevant).