1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta MD Macro 50mm f3.5 tight focus ring ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tokayto, Apr 20, 2015.

1. tokayto

tokayto TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2014
    Hi!

I just got a Minolta MD Macro 50mm f3.5 and i have a problem to solve with it. The lens looks so new not a scratch at all. It's a blue ring version. I heard that there are orange and white ring versions also. The focus ring gets tight when i turn it. Its not that tight but its hard to turn with one hand. What can i do to make focus ring work better ? Do you think that little oil would work ? Or avoid from oil ?

2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    I would stay away from oil!

I am no expert.... but I have dismantled a couple of lenses (I even put back together perfectly *one or two* of them) I would avoid oil, focusing mechanisms I've seen are actually very fine threads among 3 or more components, maybe there is some dust? I'll hold of for more knowledgeable folks.

Why dont you look for the lens on youtube? I had some luck fixing up a stuck 50mm f1.7, might help you understand more the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VLReviews

VLReviews TalkEmount Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Germany
    Benjamin
    Oiling a lens generally isn't a good idea. The oil may get inside and onto the aperture or the lens elements. To check what the problem is, let it sit in direct sunlight for half an hour so it warms up a little. If it's smooth and easy to turn when warm, your will have to disassemble the lens, clean the focusing helicoid and applay fresh acid and resin free grease. If the focus is still stiff when warm, there's a mechanical problem - maybe the outer focusing ring is warped.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Super Good Advice

BTW, great site you have there Ben!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. tokayto

May 25, 2014
    Thank you for your advice. I will try it and stay away from oil.

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I've opened up a couple lenses and cleaned out the grit so they focus smoothly again. Ruined 1 of them and almost the other, but it's not impossible!

I think if you take it apart to get to the helicoid you will have to go through a procedure when you put it together again to set the infinity focus. I'd make sure you research how that works first.

This guy has excellent videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWUxAx7ODw3sMT6V2XrQQb2xztW9lSHtQ

He doesn't have the macro lens there yet. But I'd watch a couple of those first. This guy shows you how to get the front of the macro open:

But you won't want to remove the glass elements like he does.

You need steady hands, small screwdrivers and a willingness to risk breaking your lens

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Oiling is really bad idea. If you have to clean helicoid use a felt tip pen to mark where it comes off as this helps greatly with assembly. I have used super lube (the grease kind, not the oil) to grease the helicoid but there are several specially made greases for the purpose. Q-tips (the wooden handle ones are better than plastic) and lighter fluid works great when cleaning the helicoid and you don't need to remove all the old grease. Use grease very sparingly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. VLReviews

VLReviews TalkEmount Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Germany
    Benjamin
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  10. tokayto

May 25, 2014
    I turned the focus ring all night while watching a TV show. I can feel that it turns much better now. I am not sure what is wrong but it gets better I guess. I am not going to dissamble cause I am not that good at it. Thank you all for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So it's probably dried-up grease, unless the focussing helicoid threads are dislodged (had that once with a Minolta 50mm macro which I sold to the next one mentioning the defect). I must say it's very rare for Minolta lenses to have stiff focussing, I had that more often with my MF Nikon glass of yesteryear. My only problem in this area is a very stiff VFC ring on the Minolta Shift 35/2.8, which is admittedly a fairly exotic lens, all my other Minolta lenses just run smoothly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1