1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta MD 85mm 1:2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by addieleman, Mar 16, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Got this lens the day before I left on a business trip and didn't dare to take it with me: I make it a point never to use a lens before I've gained enough confidence in its performance. So today I finally got around testing it and here are some examples. The first 2 are taken with f/2.8, the last one at f/3.3. Wide-open performance isn't really appealing, centre performance is excellent at f/2.8, the corners need stopping down to f/5.6 for very good sharpness.

Full-size pics: first, second, third.

i-h7nRLDD-XL.

i-GMszm2v-XL.

i-7xvx32q-XL.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    This lens shows good contrast and colors. Is the whole frame unacceptable wide open? How about on close subjects? Might work for romantic portraits?

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    A picture says more than a 1000 words, so here are at least 2000 words :). These are crops at 100 % viewing from the centre. There is some clear purple fringing at f/2 and sharpness is a bit mushy, although there's no real glow around highlights. At f/2.8 sharpness and contrast pick up nicely.

f/2
    i-X3D5PfC-XL.

f/2.8
    i-KrWFtKL-XL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's pretty marked improvement by stopping down.

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Here's another one. Took this with f/2.8 while lifting the camera over a fence and focussing on the LCD with peaking.

i-ng3t6hw-XL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I got this lens last week. havent had a chance to try it out yet. cant wait to use it!

7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I Think I Like Mine

Seems plenty sharp for my purposes. Wide open is a tad soft but definitely usable (especially when the alternative is using too slow a shutter speed or too high an ISO).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks for sharing this info.
    Can you take perhas a shot at the most sharp aperture (5.6 ?) and imitate a half body portrait (even better with a real person). I just want to see the out of focus area when subject would be at 3-4 meters from the lens.

9. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    You asked, I give. Here's a few selfies from 3 meters at f/2, f/2.8 and f/5.6.

minolta-85-3m-1.

minolta-85-3m-2.

minolta-85-3m-3.

Actually, looks like 5.6, 2 and 2.8 respectively. The tripod is not just to pretend I'm a pro - I use it as a focus target then replace it with my head (and move forward slowly during a 5-frame burst - until I get a mannequin head or a work trade with a model, this is my best human subject test method).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Sharpen-able from wide open!

Thus far I've thought of this lens as being "usable" if not perfect, wide open. At 100% you can usually tell the f/2 shots from the stopped-down ones, pretty easily.

Well, the good news is, you can also sharpen things up pretty easily!

minolta-md-85mm-sharpened.

This is a 100% crop from the wide-open frame shown in the previous post. The left half is the default import settings and the right half is a basic "sharpen" filter, applied in Photoshop. Is that enough pixel-level detail for you?

I don't think of this as "cheating". Most modern systems now apply profiled corrections for their dedicated lenses, right in the camera - I'm just doing it manually. (A bit of CA removal will also often be necessary.) Unlike automatic lens profiles, I can apply the sharpening just to my portrait subject's face and leave the blurry background intact.

In many cases, it would be a lot harder if not impossible to revive this degree of detail in "post". In this instance, it was a snap. That wide-open haze most fast lenses have is not so pervasive here. It seems mostly visible at - and confinable to - the pixel level.

So to me, this lens is fully usable, not just marginally usable from wide open. (You still need to nail focus and avoid motion blur, both of which are much easier said than done...)

• Like Like x 4