1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta MD 50mm f/2 - What's a good basic adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Hawkman, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I just learned that my Mom has an old Minolta Maxxum (7000, I think) with two lenses, a Minolta AF 50mm f/1.8 (or is it a 1.7?), and a Vivitar macro zoom (still trying to get details on that one). While I realize that a Sony LA-EA1, 2, 3, or 4 adapter would be the best choice for Minolta AF lenses, they are all a little out of my budget right now.

Does anyone have a positive experience with a particular lower-cost manual focus adapter, like ones from Fotodiox, Fotasy or Rainbow Imaging? Anything to look out for? And can aperture be set manually on the Minolta Maxxum AF lenses or does the adapter need to handle that somehow?

I'll probably pick up the lenses when I am home for Christmas, so there's no hurry, but I was just wondering if they are worth trying out. Thanks in advance.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    1- As long as the lens has a functioning aperture ring, then that can be controlled on the lens itself. All of mine do, but there are some of the newer lenses that don't have aperture rings.

2- I have yet to have a bad adapter. I have one that I favor, but purely for cosmetic reasons.
    I have four adapters, three cheap, ($15-20) and one a bit more expensive, (35.00). They all work the same.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I tried to use a cheap (Rainbow imaging IIRC) adapter with A-mount Sigma 12-24.

Two problems.

The biggest one - couldn't get a sharp focus. Someone here suggested it was due to adapter tolerances being on short side. This could be fixed by shimming, but I decided to get a LA-EA2 instead, with an aim for possibly expanding my lens lineup in the future.

A second, smaller issue was that the aperture changes on adapter did not correspond to any f values - it had about 5 unmarked clicks from wide open to closed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Amamba,
    Thanks for the tips. That helps some. I was actually concerned about just those things you mention, as I have a Fotodiox adapter for Nikon F-mount lenses and have noticed some difficulty getting a sharp focus, especially to infinity. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 ought to be sharper. Or... maybe it's my lack of practice on focus.

As for aperture, I haven't seen the Minoltas yet, but I'm assuming that as AF lenses they don't have a manual aperture ring based on what I've read so far.

But I guess a $20 adapter is worth a shot. I'll see once I get my hands on 'em.

5. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well, I was wrong. It turns out that my Mom's old camera wasn't a Maxxum 7000. It's an X-700. And the lens are a Minolta MD 50mm f/2 and a Toyo Optics TOU/FiveStar MC 75-200mm f/4.5 Macro Zoom. Your typical beginner's normal lens plus cheap telephoto zoom, I suppose.

From what I understand, this is probably a good thing... the lenses being MD/MC rather than AF. Aperture will be easier to control right on the lenses. However, it looks like Amazon just sold out of the Fotodiox MD to E-mount adapter. I guess I can wait a little longer.

Maybe I need to change the title to "Minolta MD 50mm f/2 Adapter."

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Done! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks!

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    This Minolta MD 50/2 is actually quite a good lens when stopped down a little. I have one that I had to straighten the filter thread of and that makes it look so bad that I can't sell it, so this will be a lens for when the going gets tough.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Hi Hawkman

For what it is worth, I use this £9 one from Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008H2HXUS. It fits very well and is a better fit than another I have that was three times that price. I don't use that one in case it might damage my Rokkors. I haven't tried a more expensive type so can't comment on any of those.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    FWIW my RainbowImaging Minolta MD adapter that I got last year for $18.19 is the smoothest-working adapter I own. That is to say, the lens mount and release mechanism feel better than my $70 Fotodiox Pro and $99 Metabones adapters.

YMMV though - that was 18 months ago and I'm sure the samples (and probably even the suppliers) will vary.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I bought a cheap one for the 100-500 MD lens I picked up. Really tight trying to attach the lens to the adapter. And like many adapters it needs shimming to adjust for exact infinity. But this one is easy to open up and add shims

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Do you know of any YouTube videos or other instruction web sites that show how to do that? I've had to return 3 different adapters (2 Fotasy and 1 Rainbow Imaging) for my Canon FD lenses in the past month because all of them fell well short of reaching infinity. If there's an easy way for me to adjust them myself, I'd rather do that than keep buying new ones and sending them back.

Edit: All the instructions I've found have to do with adapters that allow the lens to go past infinity, not the ones that never make it to infinity.

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Not making it to infinity is tougher because the adapter is too long. If the adapter is one piece then it'll never work. If it has a seperate mount ring (lens end) then you could maybe remove it and sand some off the back side to make it shorter. Not sure I'm that ambitious. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It could be that Canon FD adapters are especially prone to register distance errors because of the unusual mount. I've had to order three before I got one that would allow infinity focus and a tight enough fit with breech-lock lenses. I've never had problems with other adapters that I couldn't fix myself (tightening screws and moving the mount in the adapter to remove small burrs).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Interesting... during a recent 50mm test-a-thon, I noticed the FD was the one adapter that wouldn't permit infinity focus.

That's okay, though. Maximum focus distance was about 30' (which is often where I want to be focusing for landscapes). By f/8 the distant ridge was reasonably sharp. And I don't really use my old FL 55/1.2 much for landscapes, anyway! ;)

16. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Yikes! Which is why most adapters are made intentionally short - So that this doesn't happen. Also scary that you say *all* your FD lenses are in this state. Just one, and I might think the lens needs collimating - I think that's the right term.

I just looked at my FD adapter, and it does not look like it would be an easy job to shorten it - Not only would you have to grind the mount plate, you might have to grind the lip of the adapter so the mount plate sits flush again. Not a job I would want to do myself.

17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I tried the three adapters on all three of my FD lenses. The results were identically awful. Maximum focus, as with Jeff's adapter, was about 30'. And since I tend to shoot a lot of landscapes, that wasn't going to cut it, especially with the 85mm and 100-300mm.

Hey, I picked up a $9.99 angle grinder from Harbor Freight a few months ago! I wonder... :p

18. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry

• Like Like x 1
  19. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sorry to bury this in this (seemingly unrelated ) thread, but those who have been following it may be interested to know that I just received a second Fotodiox FD-NEX adapter, and it does focus to infinity. So I guess that's the brand I'm going to stick with in the future. All the others I've tried have failed me.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks Snowy, I've checked out the Amazon US version of this adapter, and at $10.99, I may just pull the trigger on it. It looks like the Fotodiox won't ship for "3-4 weeks".

I suspect the A7 and A7R have increased demand for legacy adapters of all types.