Showcase Minolta MD 50mm 1:3.5 Auto Bellows Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by addieleman, Dec 16, 2014.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    This lens was delivered just a few hours ago and I couldn't wait to try it out.

The first shot is shown as a reference, the coach shown here is an H0 model and the picture was taken with the Minolta MD Auto Bellows Macro 100/4.

The following pictures were made by mounting the 50mm lens on the Minolta Auto Bellows III, not applying any tilt nor shift.

Intermediate magnification, uncropped image, taken at f/8

100 % crop from the previous image

At maximum magnification

100 % crop from the previous image
    I applied quite a bit of extra sharpening here and also eliminated the purple fringing that was visible around the white areas.

I'm quite unexperienced in this real macro stuff, as opposed to close-up photography. The 50mm performs best at around f/5.6 to f/8, the image degrades quickly when stopping down further. The first picture was taken with studio flashes, calibrating the white balance with the X-rite ColorChecker Passport's grey card. The other pictures were made with a LED light source, WB adjusted with the same grey card, resulting in a wildly different color balance. Comparing it to the real world, the first one is OK, the rest is way off. And oooh, vibration... Sit still, hold your breath, wait at least 10 seconds before remotely triggering the shutter and thank heavens for the A7's electronic first curtain.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Its a fun lens. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dodegan

dodegan New to TalkEmount

Jun 11, 2014
    I've Minolta Bellows IV and I like its potential but I found it very difficult to use with my rokkor non-macro lens; 58mm f1.4 and 135km f3.5. More usable with the Minolta Zoom 35-70mm f3.5 macro. Anyhow a great tool.

Enviado desde mi iPad con TalkEmount
    • Like Like x 1