Minolta MD 35-70 3,5 macro and close-up filters?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by weirdo, Dec 2, 2014.

1. weirdo

weirdo TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    Any1 know if that will work out ok on a A7? My girlfriend really wanna try out macro and I thoguht we try with som close-up filters beforehand we buy a dedicated lens.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that you will be happier with extension tubes.

3. gnarvaez

gnarvaez New to TalkEmount

Dec 2, 2014
    I have used the lens and it works quite nice. Amazed at the quality for a 40 yr. old zoom (very little CA, not much field distortion). Have fun!

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think xXx1 is right, extension tubes are probably a better way to go.

Here is a comparison:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm

You can get either e-mount and use an adapter, or even get some Minolta bellows. Some of the cheap extension tubes for e-mount have the electrical contacts to allow autofocusing, if you decide to try a native lens. But manual focus is probably better for macro anyway.

5. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I have used the MD35-70 on my A7r and got some good macro shots....but it is limited in what it can do. There are much better options:

Photography developed as a second hobby for me, when I needed to take photographs of the coins in my collection. I have tried a variety of Macro lenses and from the mistakes I have made I would have to say the best way to start out is to use extension tubes. For me extension tubes with electrical contacts are just an unnecessary expense. AF on most cameras just isn't accurate enough to get good Macro shots or annoyingly refocuses in the middle of setting up a shot. I have also found that a dedicated macro lens is often beaten by an enlarger lens, and if you want extreme close ups its easy to obtain the necessary adapters to enable you to use a microscope objective on your camera. In short start out with extension tubes,(In Macro photography having a set is never a waste of money) then if you want to progress, advance to a bellows.

Some points on bellows: get the best you can afford you will find the cheap bellows will work but your skills will quickly advance beyond their ability. If you can get a tilt shift bellows, if you decide its not for you you will usually be able to sell it for what you paid( just shop around). You will need a focusing rail so look for a bellows that comes with a focusing rail, or has one sold with it. The material the bellows is made of is important, far too many have a paper bellows. Seek out ones that have a plasticized bellows material. The ideal lenses on a bellows are APO enlarger lenses. They are expensive but even so they are cheaper than a modern macro lens, and they will usually outperform a modern macro lens.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  7. Laagwater

Laagwater New to TalkEmount

Jan 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Edwin
    Hi, maybe you have allready bought a dedicated lens, but because i'm new here and got myself a Minolta close-uplens today, i thought i want to see
    that lens on the minolta 35-70 myself. Hope it gives you an idea...

35-70.
    A= the 35-70 lens on its macro setting 1:4. B= with the closeup filter (nr 1 is diopter 2) C= with a 10mm extension tube D= with both.

Edwin

• Like Like x 2
  8. alainib

alainib TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    montpellier france
    alain
    i compare this lens to the sony fe kit zoom 28-70mm. I found them pretty similar in sharpness