1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta MD 200mm 1:4 (A7)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by addieleman, Mar 18, 2015.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Surprisingly, there's no entry yet for a Minolta 200mm prime in this category. Today I set out to determine what would be my best telephoto option from the stuff I have. Experiments confirmed what I already knew: none of my 70-210mm zoom lenses really please me. What zoom lenses? Minolta MD Zoom 70-210/4, Canon FDn 70-210/4 and Tokina 70-210/4-5.6. The last one is actually my preferred telephoto for casual snapshots, it's light, handles well and delivers acceptable image quality in the center region.

On to primes then, a combination of the MD 100/2.5 (great lens, often use it) with a 200mm would be the logical alternative. I took the MD 200/4 and the MD Tele Rokkor 200/2.8 for a spin and it appeared that at f/5.6 the heavier and bigger 200/2.8 wasn't significantly better if at all.

So I went to a nearby park and started shooting with the MD 200/4 to assess if I'd return home with a sensible amount of keepers. And I did. The lens is nicely sharp at f/5.6 or f/8 and I managed to nail the focus consistently with peaking and without going to magnified view on the A7, but only if I had enough time. Most action shots failed miserably due to misfocus, autofocus would definitely yield more keepers for those.

No prize-winning pics here, just an assessment what the Minolta MD 200/4 can do for you when you don't want to shell out for an FE 70-200/4 (as in my case).

i-nzgGXLn.

i-2FM83rx.

Hazy weather, had to bump up contrast quite a bit here and reduce saturation in the foreground
    i-rQ6pKkN.

i-nFFnxdr.

Fully backlit; the lens delivered enough contrast to pull a recognizable image from the raw file, the A7's dynamic range took care of providing the necessary data and Lightroom's controls did the rest.
    i-rcBj5FF.

Needed quite some bumping up contrast too because of the haze, fairly narrow crop
    i-NHDFWhJ.

Even narrower crop, the original is 2183x1455 pixels.
    i-Chdp5gz.

Intended as a work of art, don't know what this is or what it stands for. It reminds me of the horn of His Master's Voice (RCA records), only the dog is missing here :).
    i-jTdWMQ6.

• Like Like x 6
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thank you for sharing the review/showcase :)
    Love that last shot btw ;)

3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks for the sample shots and concise review Ad. Your insights on Minolta manual focus lenses are always valuable! :)

Awhile back I was looking at the MD 200/4, but for now, the SEL55210 is filling that role well enough for most of my needs.

That said, something longer might be another story for me, someday, soon... any thoughts on the MD 300/4.5? ;)

4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I've had the MD 200mm f4 for a while now but don't use it as much as I should. I plan on getting out one day, when I get some spare time, and having an all MD day so the 200 should get some attention soon. Until then a here's a couple with the 200 on A7.

15570899388_9e833ce887_c. Perched by scotty-70, on Flickr

15970400893_e8b07d2a16_c. Out to sea by scotty-70, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Actually yes :). I have both the old MC Tele Rokkor 300/4.5 and MD 300/4.5. The old one is much bigger and heavier and has a nice tripod mount, the later one is lighter and doesn't have a tripod mount :frown:.

As for image quality I'm not blown away by these. But you can judge for yourself, I've uploaded some boring test shots of the MC and MD lenses.

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    What better day can you possibly have? :biggrin: Pictures don't look half-bad BTW.

7. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks, as always, for your thoughts Ad! And thanks too for posting the test shots. I agree that they are perhaps not super sharp... but based on those simple shots, the MD seems to me to perform better than the SEL55210 does at 210. Hard to compare the MC to MD though. All something to consider.

• Like Like x 1