Showcase Minolta MC ROKKOR-X PF 1:1.7 f=50mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by ecaggiani, Jun 21, 2014.

1. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I just picked up this lens at an estate sale for $20. Haven't had much of a chance to take a lot of pictures with it yet, but here are a few I quickly took when I got home. I already had the adapter for my Minolta MD 50mm 2.0, so I used that. I am loving the shallow depth of field this lens can provide, though I think wide open it is a tad soft. Anyone else use this lens?

grey-cat-statue.
    jewcat.
    compass-knife.

By the way, all three of these photos were taken wide open. The last picture is the butt of an old battle knife my wife got at the same estate sale. It has a compass that unscrews and inside the handle is a little kit with matches, needle and thread, just like Rambo used :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes. It's a lovely lens. And for 20 bucks it's great. I have 4 copies of it, two of the 1.4 version and 1 of the f2.

I have a sickness. If I find them cheap I buy them. Probably have not used any of them in a year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I totally get it. When I see a legacy Minolta lens for cheap (they usually are) it's hard to resist. Besides this lens, I also have a Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 28mm f/2.8, a Minolta MD 50mm f/2.0, and a Minolta Maxxum AF 100-200mm f/4.5-22 (mini beercan). They are all amazing lenses, especially for the price. Plus, there's something to be said about having to use a lens manually that makes me feel like I have more to do with how the picture comes out than when I use a fully automatic lens. Of course, I only use these when I don't have to worry about "getting the shot" at the spur of the moment. They do take me a bit more time to dial in :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Sadly, it looks like I paid way too much for my copy. US$23 from KEH. I feel ripped off!

Here are a couple of photos I took with my overpriced copy. All taken coupled with an A6000.

The image of the pub is posted elsewhere, before I came across these showcase threads, so apologies for the double up but I hope it serves to contrast with the indoor available light shot that follows. This one was at f/8:

17031386741_b45ff799ce_o.
    The Chequers Inn
    by Barry Pate, on Flickr

Sam is an active young lad and I was pleased to get this image of him. He is moving towards me and I had little time to focus.

Wide open:
    16850633908_0a2a2c904b_o.
    Sam
    by Barry Pate, on Flickr

I am very pleased with this lens. Perhaps not as sharp as my 50mm 1.4 but I like it just the same.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    It's an excellent lens. I still have one I purchased new in 1979 (without the PF marking). This was the first or second shot taken after adapting to a NEX-6. It's focused on a leaf in the upper right, and wide open, which is why most of the flowers are soft. Nontheless, it made me glad I had hung on to the Rokkors all these years. I've missed that tactile experience of helicoid focus, precise control over depth of field, and fast primes in general.
    14395334297_2c7ea03379_o. Fuscia -- Sony NEX-6 with Minolta Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.7, wide open by Telllekstr, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  6. jcasillas08

jcasillas08 TalkEmount Regular

May 29, 2013
    I'm currently looking into this lens. What adapter do I need to purchase?

7. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I have a few Fotasy MD to NEX adapters for Minolta MC/MD/SR lenses. They are not too expensive and work well. You may see them listed as being from Rainbow Imaging... same difference.

8. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I just use inexpensive MD to NEX adaptors (from Amazon or eBay). There is just a mechanial fit with no electrical signal. So long as the fit and construction is good I don't see the need to pay a lot for them myself.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I like the quality build of the Fotasy, Big_Is, and Fotga brands of adapters. There is also the PROST branded adapter, which appears to be the same as Fotga, but the adapter plate isn't chrome-plated, but powder-coated. Thus less expensive. These all have alllowed my lenses to focus to infinity.
    Some no-name adapters won't. For my Minolta mounted lenses, I have a Fotga and hasn't faulted yet.

10. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Great lens. I have it and used it early last year, but have to say I rarely use it since getting other "new to me" lenses over the past year. I should bring it out again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I enjoy rotating lens stock in my bag. forcing myself to shoot with lenses i would have neglected on the shelf if not purposely forcing myself to use them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Thanks for inspiring me. I came home and took a picture of the flowers my husband had given me for my birthday. Going to keep it in my bag now like you mentioned. ;)

16462725803_66c7bcd71b_b. BirthdayLily_Story-1 by Stevsh, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    great light in that shot STEVSH

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012