1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta MC Macro Celtic 50mm f/3.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Hawkman, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I haven't been very active here these past couple months. Demands of the day job and other matters have occupied my time and energy. And I suppose I've been less active/interested in actually taking photos in general over the last few months. I must admit that perhaps losing my favorite model, Darci, has had a deeper impact on me than I imagined, including in my desire to shoot photos. And I've also been lacking... creative energy as well. Maybe it's all tied in to the same general malaise.

But... I've found a cure of sorts, at least temporarily... a new lens! Or new to me at least. Saw a deal come up on a Minolta MC Macro Celtic 50mm f/3.5. Once I confirmed that the Celtic was every bit as worthy as a regular MC/MD Macro Rokkor (Thanks for the tip Ad!), the nearly half-price sold it. And now I'm delving into the world of true macros lenses.

Here's one of my first shots...
    20501776296_ae3741f189_h. MD W.Rokkor-X 28/2.8 by SRHawk64, on Flickr

Minolta MC Macro Celtic 50mm f/3.5 @ 8, ISO 2000, 1/60.
    For this macro lens, I decided to try a little "product" photography of sorts. Fashioned myself a homemade DIY light box using a translucent storage crate, one LED lamp above, two Hue Lux LED lights on the sides - one on either side - and some plain white paper as a base/background. I'm not entirely satisfied with the results, but the fault is not in the lens but the person using it. Difficulty picking and setting a focus point and a lack of front lighting probably didn't help.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    One more in the DIY light box. Set it to ISO800 to keep it from climbing high as it did on the previous one. And I may have been a bit off on focus in this and the previous one of the MD 28/2.8. But I'm liking the results from the MC Macro Celtic 50/3.5 so far. And boy does it find the dust on these old lenses.
    20528071845_3422f2aa51_h. MC Rokkor-X PG 50/1.4 by SRHawk64, on Flickr

And then for more fun...
    Again in the DIY light box. Enabled the on-camera flash for this one to get some front lighting. And placed a small diffuser on the flash to soften it. Making a little progress now, I think.
    20528090425_d238de1324_h. Benny and Emmett by SRHawk64, on Flickr

Finally...
    Again with my DIY light box. Again enabled the on-camera flash.
    19907172603_2f3499cb4c_h. Sandperson and T-16 Pilot by SRHawk64, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, getting a new lens (or new gear in general) is one of the solutions to gain back the lost interest...sometimes an expensive solution though :D

And getting a specialized lens as this macro one, definately opens up a whole new creativity world ;) Especially if its for someone who haven't tried macro photography before.

I'd love to get a Minolta macro lens (although if I were to get one I'd get the MD 100 f/4), but I have other gear priorities right now.

Congrats Steve and those are nice photos ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice close-ups. :)

5. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Since we've been discussing the SELP18105G vs the SEL1670Z in other threads, I thought I'd put up a "studio" product shot showing the 18-105G in comparison to the 18-55 kit lens, as I don't have the 16-70 myself. The 16-70 is closer to the 18-55 in size than to the 18-105G as I understand it.

25577329136_4da71a1579_b. SELP18105G v SEL1855 by SRHawk64, on Flickr

Shot with my Minolta MC Macro Celtic 50mm f/3.5 @ 5.6, ISO 1250, 1/60 (Aperture Priority)
    Need to work on my "studio" setup for such shots. But it's a start.
    (Similar DIY lightbox as before: Just a sheet of paper placed in a translucent plastic storage box for the base/background; an LED lamp to the right and behind the box; another LED lamp to the left of the box and just slightly forward; and a small SIMA 10-LED video light handheld for above and front accent. Perhaps another overhead light would have helped.)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Doesn't look bad, Steve. I'd keep the ISO at 100 and just expose longer, it's not like your subjects seem to move a lot and you'll see a lot more detail in your shots. Dusty lenses? Tell me about it... I sometimes spend an hour to get all the debris out of the small ridges of aperture and focus rings. These macro shots reveal everything indeed.

7. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks Ad. And that's a great tip. I think I tried something similar in one of my earlier attempts up top, but forgot the concept yesterday. Maybe I'll give it another try this weekend. That, and get a bigger, better piece of paper for the white surface. The 18-105G is almost too big to fit nicely in front and on top of a simple 8.5in x 11in sheet. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I was just fooling around the other day and took a macro shot of my old 24mm Nikkor.
    YIKES was it dirty.
    Gave me a new appreciation of just how hard Ad works on his shots and how clean he keeps his gear.
    I'm with him, increase the exposure and crank that aperture closed to get the most DOF possible.
    I'd post a photo but I don't want to pollute your thread with Nikon stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Feel free to "pollute" the thread with Nikon or whatever. All are welcome. :)

10. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    So I took some more DIY lightbox "studio" shots with the MC Celtic Macro. I also took some of the above advice and exposed longer, but also set the ISO up at 400 and the aperture to f/8, rather than f/5.6. Put it in shutter priority and set to either 1/10 or 1/8. On camera as I was shooting them, I preferred the look of the 1/8 shots. But on review on the Mac I thought both shutter speeds were a bit overexposed, though the 1/10 versions started to look better to me. I also did a couple at 1/20, but those were not satisfactory in that the background and shadows were a bit dark, with the characteristic warm look the Celtic seems to give.

Here are a couple of samples, one each at 1/8 and 1/10...

25649803322_abe5243bf6_b. E-Mount Lineup by SRHawk64, on Flickr

That's my entire current native E-mount lineup: Sigma 30/2.8 Art, SEL50F18, SEL1855, SELP18105G, SEL55210.

In the DIY lightbox mini-studio. Here at 1/8 to pump up the white and wash out the shadows. Overexposed. Rotate and tiny crop to fix the horizon due to misalign on my tripod.

25675729021_974f98e8b5_b. E-Mount Lineup ver.2 by SRHawk64, on Flickr

Same shot, but at 1/10. I like this better, just barely. Hmmm, maybe I should try post processing it a bit or using some exposure compensation.

Oh, BTW, I also "upgraded" my DIY lightbox mini-studio a bit. It still is based on a Costco translucent storage box and three LED lamps - one above, and one to each side and slightly forward - but I added a piece of white poster board for a larger base/background. SO now I can fit the whole lineup of lenses, barely. Now, perhaps I should "upgrade" the lighting.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, here you go.
    Don't say I didn't warn you though.

No light box, just set the lens and the camera on the coffee table and focus it at almost minimum distance with natural light.

DSC04732.JPG
    This is a lens I bought off a member of another forum and just started using as soon as I got it, no cleaning at all.
    8 sec exposure, 100 ISO, f32.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Nice. Was that taken with a Minolta MC Celtic 50/3.5 Macro... or with a Nikkor? ;)

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    That was with my Micro Nikkor 55mm 2.8 that I scored off of the Goodwill site last year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Here's that lens.

DSC04072 (2016_03_05 21_12_29 UTC).JPG

The thing that always frustrates me about a studio shot is controlling the reflections in the glass of the lens being shot. I guess I'm too impatient to figure it out well.