1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta MC Fisheye Rokkor 7.5mm F4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Austrokiwi, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    First off: wow what a fun lens!!! My camera is a sony A 7r and with a novoflex adapter this lens just fits so nicely. 12 elements in 8 groups ranges from F4 to F22. It has 180 degrees of view in all directions but only produces a 22mm image circle. I haven't shot my feet yet...but shadows and camera strap have turned up unexpectedly (I am learning to expect them!!!). Its a great lens for teaching you to check the field of view, I am sure I will be caught out again. Heres my first lot of test photos: the first one was just to illustrate, to my self, why they call it barrel distortion. Looking at that picture, for me, is weird; while taking the shot I was terrified I was going to have the front element hit the map! The lens has the following built-in filters 1A-FLD-Y52-R60-80B-85 I used the R60 for the black and white shot and the FLD for the pylon picture. That Pylon picture was hard...... With the huge field of view it was, as can be seen. Hard to keep the sun out of the shot.

DSC05067_zpsb75ef882.

DSC05062_zps990fd2dd.

DSC05065_zps7bbd9add.

DSC05066_edited-1_zps7dfd5261.

DSC05068_zps39a7fda8.

DSC05071_zpseed114b8.

DSC05076_zps7f24a83c.

DSC02317_zps7074dff3.

• Like Like x 7
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Fun lens indeed! Am I jealous? Just a little bit...

• Like Like x 1
  3. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Love it, using my rokkor 16mm would be a good reason to jump from crop to FF

• Like Like x 1
  4. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Austrokiwi, please, could you show me how is the crop in aps-c mode?

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's quite a fisheye.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Austrokiwi

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    My only e mount camera is the A7r. I do have an A65 and an MD -Alpha mount adapter. I quickly tried the len on the A65....but nothing was in focus. from that attempt I can tell you that the 7.5 almost fills an Aps-c sensor.....almost as the corners are cut off!!

Edit: Guess who didn't read your post correctly. Next edit will have the picture you asked for.

Edit 2: Heres the APS-c shot( never used it on the A7r before):

DSC05134_zps71da14fa.

• Like Like x 3
  7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Now that you mention it, there can be a problem with this lens in getting correct focussing: it's a fix-focus lens, no way to focus it. That means that if your adapter isn't perfect in terms of its length, you're screwed. Most adapters are a little bit short to allow for infinity focussing despite tolerances, even the Novoflex adapters are deliberately 0.07mm short if I remember correctly. Hmm, that'll keep me probably from getting one, even though it's a nice lens to have if you're a collector (like me).

8. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Thank you, really interesting lens

9. Austrokiwi

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    The adapter doesn't have a corrective lens...I used to use it just for macro work.

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My remark was about adapters without any corrective optics in them. Most adapters do not produce the exact register distance or flange focal distance for the mount in question, 43.5mm for Minolta R/MD in this case, but a little bit less, say 43.4mm. Usually this is not a problem because you can focus the lens a little before infinity so that the lens' focussing helicoid moves the lens forward to counter for the missing 0.1mm of the adapter. But the Minolta fisheye 7.5mm doesn't have a focussing helicoid so if the adapter is a little bit short you won't get a sharp picture because the lens is misfocussed. You might be able to add shims to the adapter (depending on its design) to adjust the register distance.

Recently I ordered a Canon FD adapter from a guy in Poland who claims the adapter has the exact register distance, maybe that would be an alternative solution. The adapter I got did not provide infinity focus for some FD lenses, underlining the desireabiltiy in general to have the adapter produce a little shorter register distance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Austrokiwi

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    It was grey day to day....what better way to try soem Black and white shots.....I used the R80 filter. Only editing was to put the image onto a black background and to change the photos to B&W

fallentree_zps39e75c36.

edgeofthefield_zps9b6d9d04.

canal1_zps6b821c56.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Austrokiwi

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    Today the dog and I did the same walk. It was a sunnier day so I Took some photos most I left as colour( note some pictures are of the same subjects already pictured):

ploughedfield_zps9f7f9c14.

I tried to get a good shot of this the previous day... there were two problems...my shadow and the leather camera case. To day I managed to keep the shadow(but had to accept flare) out of it and the camera case I left at home:

oldshed_zps09cde607.

This next one reminds me of the colours seen in 1970s's glossy magazines:

canal3_zpsdb64e0ba.

The next two are the same picture ( I prefer the colour version although the B&W looks somewhat moodier)

brokentree1_zps1b38eade.

brokentree2_zps1cf75925.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Austrokiwi

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    A couple more shots.. both in the same location just a few months apart. Camera Sony A7rII

fish%20eye%20Autumn_zpsqzzoyldg.

winter%202_zpspc0rszxx.

• Like Like x 7