Minolta Maxxum lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Oct 29, 2015.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I recently came into possession of these lenses and would like to know if it's possible to use them on my NEX-7.
    So far all I've used are manual focus lenses. These are Auto Focus.
    Am I looking at a pricey adapter?
    Thanks guys. IMG_0813.JPG
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    The answer is yes. These are A-mount lenses so you can use the LAE-EA2 adapter for autofocus which will give you a cropped view or the LAE-EA4 which is for FE mount (full-frame) but can be used on the NEX-7 cropped sensor. I have used the LAE-EA4 with no problem on my NEX-7. If you have plans on moving to Full Frame Emount someday the "4" may be worth the extra money.

The AF is provided inside the adapter used a translucent mirror AF system from the Sony A58 camera. You will lose about 1/3 stop of light due to the mirror, but the AF does work.

New the LAE-EA2 runs around $200 and the LAE-EA4 around $350. Be careful buying used - if the mirror inside the adapter is ever touched it can screw up the AF.

Here's a pic of the LAE-EA4...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Chris.
    Now I guess the question is, are these going to be 'good' enough to use as my only 'native' lens and am I willing to disrupt my saving for an A7ii to get an adapter.
    I appreciate your replying. Thanks again.
  4. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Please be aware that these 2 zooms were the really cheap entry level lenses for AF A-Mount cameras around 1988. Their image quality is questionable to say the least. If you are counting on them for regular use, you will find your legacy adapted lenses outstanding compared to these.

I am not sure it is worth the investment in an adapter like the LA-EA2 if you don't intend to get better quality A-Mount lenses in the near future.

IF THEY say POWER ZOOM on the side of the lens, they will not work properly since these were the only ones with this feature and zooming and focusing will be confused by your camera
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Michel, I did some more research on them after posting this thread. I won't be spending any more time/money on them, except maybe offering them for free on Craigslist.