1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta Maxxum 200mm APO f/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by fractal, Oct 27, 2014.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Last week I purchased a friend's Minolta 200mm 2.8 and today it arrived! I excitingly ran home for lunch, slapped it on my NEX-7 (with the Sony LA-EA1 adapter (no mirror/autofocus)) and took a few test shots.

First, here's how it looks on the camera. As you can see, there is a bit of damage to the lens barrel but has no effect on optics.

IMG_1903-XL.

I was pleasantly surprised how "small" and light the lens was. It makes a great package with the NEX-7. Very easy to grab and go. The middle of the lens "slides" up to expose the manual focusing dial. I was worried how that would work on the NEX after reading a few reviews of the lens. My fears however were overblown.

The manual focusing is smooth and integrates with camera's focus peaking extremely well. The tri-nav controls make this a treat to use full manual. I purchased the lens eager to match pro-quality glass to the NEX-7 sensor, but expected a challenge operating it. Not so at all.

A couple "test" shots. Both at f/2.8 with the first at ISO 800 and the photo of my dog at ISO 200. Shot it RAW with minimal PP in LR.

[​IMG]

DSC02476-XL.

This weekend I'm back to Annapolis for another water polo tournament which will put this baby to a good test. He also sold me the Minolta 2X teleconverter that goes with the lens. I'll be interested to see how that looks.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Lucky to have such friends, Indeed. Sure looks nice on that NEX Body

• Like Like x 1
  3. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    A few shots with the Minolta 200mm 2.8.

DSC02819-XL.

DSC02841-XL.

DSC02868-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The action shots like great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This looks like a nice lens for sports and wildlife.

• Like Like x 1
  6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Really like the water polo shots! Great lens. Of course, great technique too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Some more shots with the Minolta. I am impressed at the sharpness of the lens and how much I can crop. I would love to try this lens on the new A7ii

DSC03336-XL.

DSC03381-XL.

DSC03405-XL.

DSC03407-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Nice lens. The bokeh reminds me of Beercan.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Took this lens to a basketball game to get some shots of my nephew and a friend's son. Sat in the stands using a monopod. It was really too much reach when the action came down our side of the court, much better for shots in the middle to far side. I continue to be amazed at the IQ produced by the lens. These were all edited in LR but I applied very few adjustments.

DSC04375-XL.

DSC04444-XL.

DSC04512-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    great work, great lens!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    You are getting some nice keepers there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Granted it was a friend price and all. But would you mind disclosing what you payed for this lens. Curious as to what a great quality used copy would go for atm

13. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    unlo,

I agreed on this (with the 2x teleconverter);

The 200 glass is in perfect condition. The body is mostly in good condition but the focus limiter switch and surrounding area is cracked off, thus discounting the price. As you know from my photos, it doesn't affect IQ.
    Let's call it $575 for the lens. (Usually goes for $700-900) I'd list it on Dyxum for $650 if you don't want it.
    I'll also recommend you take my minolta 2x apo teleconverter along with it. Purchased in like new condition from Keh.
    And will give you 400mm of high quality reach in a compact package.

$735 for both. I'll pay shipping and PayPal fees.

And of course I'd refund your money if you weren't happy.

I am seriously going to miss this lens.

14. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Thx I think I might pick one up myself. I think I've found a great copy for around what u spent minus the 2x

15. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I think you will be very happy with the purchase. I'm looking to get the LA-EA4 adapter to add Autofocus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I pulled the trigger. Now im on the prowl for the 2x

• Like Like x 1
  17. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I have an Alpha A57 it will be right at home on. But i'll probably get the LA-ea4 as well for my 5r. And whatever other camera I may find myself being unable to resist later this year. I've been putting a few nexVG900's on my watch list. Can't seem to make up my mind vs A7m2.

I have a Tamaron 70-300 f4-5.6 and have struggled getting indoor shots of sports. This thread really sealed the deal for me with this old Prime. Looking forward to its arrival. [emoji7]

I'll be sure to add some images of my own to this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  18. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    im giddy with excitement. I've never ordered a lens from japan before, and somehow that makes it more special to me. lol

Edit : original estimate was for the 30th. But just got notified it's in my hometown and should be out for delivery tmr morning. [emoji7]

• Like Like x 1
  19. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Its here its here!!!

gosh... who knew opening a box labeled Japan Post could be so exciting.

This lens is GORGEOUS. for a lens crafted in the late 80's it is immaculate. Can't wait to try it out.
    Some images of it right out of the box and on my a57.

**removed

In Love with my first and only (so far) G lens.

I know i'm blaspheming with my A-mount in the pics. But... I took the pics with my 5r and 40mm Konica Hexanon 1.8 :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    excuse me for the noob question. but maybe you could help me out Fractal. Is the silver knob on the right hand side of the lens for Lens Collar? If yes, do you use one? was it hard to find?