1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BYee, Jan 24, 2015.

1. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    I've got the Sony A6000.

From my understanding, the old Minolta lens is the Sony A-mount.

In order for me to mount a A-lens to my Sony S6000, I'll nee to buy the a-mount to e-mount adapter intelligent adapter to retain the auto focus function.

Can I use the same adapter for the older Minolta lenses? Will autofocus work?

Thoughts?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some are also MD Mount

3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    ** removed

This is the adapter you are speaking about i believe. And this is an A mount lens. AF works well

4. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    BYee,
    Older Minolta auto focus lenses will work (with auto focus) on NEX cameras with either the LA-EA2 (discontinued I believe) or the newer LA-EA4 adapters.
    The less expensive LA-EA1 (also discontinued I believe)and LA-EA3 (non auto focus) will let you use the lenses with manual focus only.
    Old Minolta manual focus lenses are a different mount and will not work on Sony A-mount cameras or the LA-EA adapters.

5. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Unlo,

Nice setup....must be a 200 f2.8?

Is the lens super sharp?

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    It is and yes, Sharp indeed. I took some shots of a few bluegrass bands last night. This lens is in a league of its own. Was very surprised at how many keepers I got. Will post some shots tmr probably

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Here is what is Available in Minolta A to E-mount adapters as far as i has found.

Generic MD to E-mount adapter from ebay. $20 to$60 dollars Manual focus. Automatic in camera aperture compensation in manual lens mode on the a6000

Generic A to E-mound adapter from ebay. Manual focus Manual exposure $30 to $90 dollars (harder to find)

Sony Adapters (works on all e-mount cameras)
    LA-EA1 APS sized sensor a to e-mount adapter. $100-$200 Supports auto focus and exposure for Sony a-mount lenses equipped with an internal Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM)
    LA-EA2 APS sized sensor a to e-mount adapter. $200-$290 Supports auto focus and exposure for both Sony a-mount lenses equipped with an internal Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM) and Older Minolta Lenses with camera driven autofocus linkage
    LA-EA3 Full Frame sized sensor a to e-mount adapter. $200 Supports auto focus and exposure for Sony a-mount lenses equipped with an internal Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM)
    LA-EA4 Full Frame sized sensor a to e-mount adapter. $350 Supports auto focus and exposure for both Sony a-mount lenses equipped with an internal Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM) and Older Minolta Lenses with camera driven autofocus linkage.

(Reducers)
    Metabones Sony A-mount to Sony NEX Speed Booster $429.00 Manual focus, Manual exposure.
    Generic A to E-mount Reducer ebay $90 to $200 Manual Focus, Manual exposure. (very rare, usually poor image quality)

As i understand it NONE of the above adapters support Any type of camera controlled zoom features that were used in older Minolta Xi lenses
    Also , of course, OSS is not supported with any of A-mount lenses.

Hope that helps.
    Might be some errors there, feel free to correct me.

8. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I would like to see them. Where in ohio are you?

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Band was in Cbus. I'm a Lil South in Lancaster.

10. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    I've got a full frame Canon 5DMK2 with all L series lenses. From my understanding, the Merabones adapter is unpredictable with the autofocus - slow and sometimes unable to focus.

Now I'm exploring Sony A to E adapter and perhaps picking up some older Minolta AF lenses since they're relatively inexpensive.

Is the autofocus fast when using the Sony A to E adapter or is it slow and unpredictable like the Metabones adapter?

Thoughts?

11. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    It is faster then using Metabones adapter. You can check the review below. I found it last night:
    http://phillipreeve.net/blog/sony-la-ea4/

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I can't comment on the performance of both. Only have the LAea4.. AF was plesently quite responsive. Not as fast as native of course. And my 200 is from '89 soo....

Jay from SonyAlphaLab is a former canon shooter and has the metabones and has used the Sony adapters. Pretty sure he has reviews of both on his site.

• Like Like x 1