Minolta 58mm f1.4 lens on my 7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lowincash, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Just bought an old Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4 lens for my NEX-7 using a fotodiox adapter. Size of the lens/adapter is as big as the Zeiss 24mm f1.8 lens but the lens alone feels heavier than the camera and Zeiss lens combo lol it's like rock solid all metal, pretty impressive. Been playing around with it today and it's great to use and MF is so easy thanks to the focus peaking feature. Will post pics when I have a chance :)

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Looks like a killer combo, I'm looking forward for your images with this set up.

3. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Ok here are some test pics, haven't gone out with it yet but just testing it around home haha

The lens is quite soft wide open but at f4 it's quite sharp. Below shots are at f1.4 and couple just testing the bokeh :D I wasn't able to get my whole car in the pic, could not back up any more lol

4. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I quite like like results (just look at that bokeh! :)), and the almost non existent chromatic abberation (have a look at the glare from the car :eek: ) sharpness -wise though I found that my copy of this lens to (not the sharpest, but) be plenty sharp, this is an image shot wide open with my copy (click on the image to see it in a larger size)
    _7569176_orig.

5. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    haha nice pic yah your copy is nice and sharp

but yah the 58mm lens I have gets a lot of flares, that car pic I already used my on top of the lens to shade it from the sun, need to find a hood =/

6. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I really like your 58, I dont see much much flares at all, even the one from the car is so much contolled with no purple or magenta fringing, (and oh yeah, I'll mention it again because I really like it) THE BOKEH ON YOUR LENS IS REALLY GOOD! Overall I think you did very well!

I'd love to use this lens for portraits. (cute dog btw :D)

7. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    thanks, it's my friend's dog haha

I'm now on the hunt for a nice 50mm 1.4 lens =]

8. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Why not look for a 35mm? it translates to a 50mm when mounted on a NEX.

9. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    hmm I might look into it, but I like the 50mm focal length on the nex, I always had a 50mm lens with my dslr too.

I actually received the 50mm f2 today but I'm returning it because I bought it by mistake, thought it was 1.2 since it says 1:2 lol

10. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I had that mistake in the past as well ;)
    Speaking of 50mm, you might want to look at the .95 50mm from SLR magic, they re-did the lens from the ground up which looks pretty promising. Steve Huff is currently doing a rolling review on it and so far so good and he's impressed with it. There are some arguements regarding DoF, bokeh, etc...my main attraction to fast glass is mainly for low light shots as I'm fond of evening photography.

Anyways, have a look at Steve's site here and here for more info regarding this lens, he also did mention that SLR magic is planning to release an E-mount version of this lens.

11. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    holy crap, it's $999 for the slr magic 50mm 0.95 e-mount! don't think I can afford it after buying the zeiss lens lol

12. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Yup, it's not cheap, then again the Leica f.95 Noctilux costs $11,000 and the Voigtlander Nokton f1 costs $999 (which I found a bit disappointing).

13. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    I'll just go for the 50 1.4 for now lol I'll update when I get one :D

14. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Sounds like a good plan :)

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The first couple with the dog are by far the best.

16. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    thanks, my friend wants me to print out the b&w pic for her, time to test out what 24mp can do :D

17. L4RRY

L4RRY TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 14, 2011
    Hi guys I´m just thinking about some MF lenses and I got offer for Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm/1.4 and MINOLTA MD ROKKOR-X 45mm 1:2 . Do you got some experience with these lenses, which one of them would you recommend. Thanks.

18. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Just got the 45mm f2 today, it's a really sharp lens. I bought it from the same guy that I got the 58mm from. I tried the 45mm that day too and liked how sharp it is, so yeah it's a good lens too. My 50mm 1.4 should be coming in a few days.

19. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I've got the 58mm 1.4 and really like it--though of course I wan the 1.2--I noticed you've a lot of lenses right around 50mm. Do you find there's a lot of difference in use?

20. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm also getting a 50mm-ish MF lens for my NEX-5N.

I used to have a Canon SSC 50mm 1.4 and hardly ever used it on my Canon A1 film SLR which I had sold (with all my other lenses) several years ago when they started depreciating rapidly during the advent of the digitals. Kicking myself now for getting rid of those lenses. That 50mm will be the equivalent of a supremely fast 75mm/f1.4 low-light portrait lens mounted on a NEX!

Any chance of some sample pics from your newly acquired "legacy" lenses, Lowincash?