1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta 55mm f:1.7 MC Rokkor on NEX-6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by -et-, Mar 24, 2013.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I see that a number of people have posted images from the Minolta 58mm f:1.4 and the Minolta 50mm F:1.4 and f:1.7 lenses, but I didn't notice any taken with the Minolta 55mm f:1.7 MC Rokkor. As a history tidbit, the 55mm f:1.7 was a predecessor to the 50mm f:1.7 lens. This particular copy of the 55mm f:1.7 came with my Minolta SRT-101 when I purchased the camera and lens in May of 1967.

Here are two photos taken today using that lens on my NEX-6. The first image was taken inside the Central Library of the city in which I live, and the second image was taken while walking through Central Park.

- Tom -

Minolta 55-1.jpg

Minolta 55-2.jpg

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Very nice. I always have a soft spot for old glass. I always wonder what they have seen in there lifetime... Especially the ones that I pick up from eBay or pawn shops.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice catch.

Your first shot is too busy for me, but the second has some good potential.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Oh, but if we could get them to talk, the tales they might tell… ;)

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks for sharing! My MD 50/1.7 (not Rokkor) seems to be a bit of a dog, but my MC Rokkor 50/1.4 is terrific! Makes me want to try out a bunch more Rokkors! :biggrin:

6. Red Bull 2013

Red Bull 2013 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 21, 2013
    I also have a Minolta 55/1.7 Rokkor. I like very much this objective. :thumbup: barbie.jpg and one more dsc02293_1.jpg

7. dennyhalim

dennyhalim TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Great shots. Im still struggling using manual. Here's mine with my first rokkor 55mm 1.7 still not satisfied, feel like out of focus. What do you think, is the focus already good? ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1373718409.620533.jpg

8. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Were you shooting wide open? It looks to me like the frame of the glasses is in focus (assuming that the metal is as smooth as I think it is) but the faces is out of focus - especially the hair. That would be what I might expect for an image taken close to the subject with the lens wide open.

- Tom -

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    :thiagree: Probably should either stop the lens down a bit or move back a bit. ;)

Oh yeah- welcome to the forum. :)

10. dennyhalim

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes, im shoting wide open. I start to like with MF, thank you for welcoming me.
    I will try with a couple stop down later. Thank you.

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I was only 8 months old at that time... scary !!! I think your lens is aging better than I do :)

12. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I still have the SRT-101, and it still works quite well, although I have seldom used it in recent years. I have had "preventive maintenance" done on the camera twice since I bought it - primarily because I have had it out in the desert of Southern California many times and decided that a CLA was good insurance for proper performance. I also had the lens aperture mechanism serviced once, about 12-14 years ago.

- Tom -

13. dennyhalim

Jul 5, 2013
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1374765595.513792.jpg
    55mm f2.8 i'm quite satisfied, i move back and stop down a bit.

14. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am also having the same troubles when shooting wide open with my MD 50mm. Is there a good book (for some reason I prefer books over internet) so I can read a bit on how aperture affects the depth of field. I know the theoretic part but I would need one book that it will mostly give also examples to help me improve my understanding.

Regards
    A

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    This table may help a bit. The ledt hand column is the distance from the sensor to the subject. You can change the focal length of the lens and recalculate the DOF as needed.

This is one of the photography apps that I use on my iPhone/iPad.

16. Red Bull 2013

Red Bull 2013 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 21, 2013
    It's a very capable lens . A picture with my boy and one with me. I say he has a great bokeh. Click on the image, you can see better. :whoo: DSC02607.jpgDSC02610.jpg