Minolta 50 mm Rokkor f/1.7 vv Sony 50 mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Frank Teurlings, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Hi folks, Was considering to a Minolta 50 mm f/1.7 Rokkor to buy. After some Googling some reviews come across where it is alleged that the Sony 50 mm f/1.8 OSS optically not worse.
    What is now a wise advice.
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    You can get a Minolta 50/1.7 for € 15 (I have one for sale actually on Marktplaats) and an adapter for € 15 or so, so you can try that first before you spend a lot of money on Sony's 50/1.8.

You should be aware that the Minolta 50/1.7 is soft and flary wide-open, it gets very good at f/2.8 and smaller. The Sony is probably better wide-open, has autofocus, the EXIF shows the lens data and you don't need an adapter. Depends on you if you think that's worth the higher price.
  3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    both lenses are excellent, although I do not rule get this 50mm f/1.8, but now I'm saving for the 35mm f1.8.
    Minolta lens are very good, high contrast, color and sharpness, the focus ring is very smooth, with a very soft rubber, but it is Manual focus in the Nex, now Vs Sony 50 f/1.8, you can get AF / MF, quality, contrast, and the great price.
  4. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks in any case for the answers. Actually, I had hoped that the Sony 16-50 would have a comparable level as e.g. the Tamron 17-50 but this is not so. I also know that there again in 2013 new lenses with E mount on the market would come, but yes what is wisdom. Experience with manual focus I have but with normal photography I am actually not a fan of here. However if a Minolta optical would be better than the Sony I have my choice soon created for those few cents. I also hope that in the near future good quality lenses on the market come in that range and higher, that I miss now.
  5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Frank, I have several units of the Rokkor (including one for sale, actually) and I did try (and return) the SEL 50. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent lens. Nothing at all like either of the kit zooms, which are decent at best (I had both, too, and promptly sold the 16-50, now have a black unit which seems decent).
    Optically the SEL50 is very, very sweet. Excellent center sharpness wide open, beautiful colors and contrast, nice creamy bokeh. Nothing wrong here. Size wise it's almost identical to the 18-55, so if you have the latter in silver version, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from a yard away. They're almost twins in looks.
    Why did I return mine ? It's a little user specific I guess. Since I chose the NEX as camera system, and started using the Focus Peaking function, I've become totally addict to older lenses. I enjoy the quality, the handling, the character that I find they have over modern lenses. For instance, if I wanted to get the same look on a modern lens that my PEN F 38 natively delivers, I'd have to spend a lot of time in PP ! I just love older lenses over new ones, UNLESS the modern lens has FAST AF performance. It is, unfortunately, not the case of the SEL. In bright light AF is reasonably usable, but in low light it becomes very hectic. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it hunts like crazy. I just can't accept to lose shots to AF erratic behavior.
    Truly, if this lens had had fast and reliable AF, I might have accepted to lose the handling joy of my legacy glass and made it my primary lens, but since I'm better off using MF anyway, there's little sense using the modern lens.
    I'm really looking forward to trying the new SEL35, and very concerned it's gonna unravel exactly the same way...
    By the way, if you can live with MF, I'd suggest the 50/1.4 instead, which will perform brilliantly from F2. The 1.7 doesn't have a physical stop between 1.7 (which is usable but a tad soft) and 2.8 (which is deadly sharp but already a little to slow for my taste).