1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Minolta 3600HS(D) flash question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Kirkp, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I have a Sony NEX-6 camera and HVL-F32M flash. I'm considering acquiring a Minolta 3600HS(D) flash for about $85 shipped (from a reputable source with a 30-day return policy). I plan to use the Sony flash on the camera and the Minolta flash as a TTL wireless remote. I'm a frugal amateur, but I hope with these flashes and an umbrella reflector I'll have better lighting options for portraits, still life, and macro.
    Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Am I correct that these two flashes and the camera are compatible if used this way?

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    As long as you will only use TTL, you will be OK with these. The F36AM (or Minolta 3600HSD) have no provision to operate in Manual mode in WL. This set-up will definitely prove very enjoyable to use without breaking the bank since the F36/3600 can zoom manually and tilt up for bounce.

Just make sure you are getting the clip-on wide angle diffuser (for 17mm coverage in FF, about 11mm in APS-C on your A6000) and the mini-stand (this will help mount on light stands without buying extra accessories for use in WL )

If unfamiliar, download the instructions from either Sony or other sources ( Sony HVL-F36AM is the exact same flash as the Minolta 3600HS(D)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that manual flashes are better option for off camera work. I have the 3600 HSD and it is pretty good option if you want to use TTL for on camera work.

4. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Thanks for that. You prompted me to do a little research on relative merits of TTL vs. Manual off-camera flash. I gather that nearly all studio work is done in manual mode, but that TTL can allow one to work more quickly in the field. That's an oversimplification of course, and could probably start a heated argument between manual and TTL camps if I'm not careful. I think I'll give off-camera TTL a try since it seems to suit my style of photography.

5. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    To start off, you will enjoy the ease of use and low set-up time of TTL with the equipment you chose. Only later when you start feeling limited by the way your equipment reacts in some situations will you consider going manual but then the choice of equipment will probably take you to other types of equipment and may represent an expense you are not ready to deal with.

6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Thanks, michelb. That's what I'm thinking too. If I do decide I need to try manual flash later, I have a couple of decent legacy flashes I got as part of some lens bundles on ebay. I've read that a frugal way of putting them to use off camera might be the Yongnuo RF-603NII-N3. It won't do for pro work, but I can at least experiment with the principles of manual flash and might end up with some interesting shots. If anyone has experience with the Yonguo units on NEX cameras or has another frugal suggestion I'd be interested.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have one yn-560 III but the Canon version. Works very well with Nex 7. The remote commander tx 560 is really nice.

8. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I'm posting a follow-up in case it could help someone else.
    I received the used Minolta 3600HS(D) from Adorama. It was in excellent condition, works great, and included the stand and a generic diffuser.
    I was a little disappointed that when the Sony HVL-F32F on the NEX-6 is set to control mode it only serves to control the remote flash. It fires a preflash, but not during the exposure, so won't serve as a fill flash. I think the flash's manual indicates it works that way. If anyone knows of a way to get this Sony flash to serve as a fill when in control mode, please let me know.
    If I decide I need two-flash TTL with the NEX-6 I could buy another 3600HS(D) (or something similar) for the second remote flash. Alternatively, I could put a small TTL flash on the camera (e.g., the Sony HVL-F20M) and use my Sony HVL-F32M as the second remote flash.
    Since I've got a couple of legacy manual flashes kicking around the house, the cheapest solution when I need 2 flashes is to put the TTL flashes away and use a Yougnuo RF-603ii RF trigger system. I'll probably try that next.