Minolta 28mm f/2.8 MD W. Rokkor...55mm vs 49mm filter version

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nubster, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Anyone know if there's a difference between the 55mm filter version and the 49mm? From what I gather, the 55mm is 2nd gen and the 49mm is 3rd gen but can't really find anything that shows if one is better than the other. Seems the 55mm version costs more, so maybe that's an indicator?

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    From RED Bailey's site it is clear that all 28/2.8 Minolta lenses have the same design, except the latest plain MD (i.e. no Rokkor designation). If you have a Rokkor 28/2.8 of any kind, it's the same optical design and, from what I've seen, generally the same performance. Sample variation can be quite significant; earlier on I had the idea that the Rokkors ΓΈ49mm filter thread were less plagued by sample variation, but last week I had my umpteenth sample of one that showed distinct unsharp corners due to fairly extreme curvature of field.

Another example of sample variation: 2 of my earliest models show both good and bad image quality, a Celtic (budget line) was good and an MC Rokkor was the worst in wide-open performance. I could go on and on, up to a point where this is just freaking out about small and irrelevant differences.

Morale: don't worry, there isn't really one "best" Minolta 28/2.8, you just have to be a bit lucky to get a good sample. And if you are not as damned critical as I am, you may not even know what this is all about.

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Thanks. I checked the Rokkor files first. Some of the reviews he is pretty specific about which lens variation is better however the 28mm he was pretty vague do to not using the lens much because he used the 24mm instead. I'll have to see if I can hunt down a good copy then or another 24mm-28mm alternative.