1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta 24mm f/2.8 MD W.Rokkor-X

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by eno789, May 5, 2012.

1. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Petaluma, California

DSC00438.

DSC00448.

DSC00477.

DSC00484.

DSC00474.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Nice street shots, Brian! Rustic architectural details and the 24mm go so well together...

How are you finding that 24mm Rokkor with your 5N?

3. eno789

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Yeah, 24mm with 1.5x is very useful focal length for walking around. Wide enough, yet not too wide that I'd need to worry much about distortion. The depth of field is also nice. Arguably my shots were only shots of street, not really street shots.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I had that lens briefly, but I had a bad version.

Looks like you got some nice shots with yours.

5. eno789

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    [​IMG]
    (taken with iPhone)

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Good to see some shots of Petaluma. I always hear Leo Laporte talking about that town on his podcasts.

7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Interesting lens. The middle is pretty amazingly sharp - right up there with the Sony/Zeiss IME! The edges don't clean up completely (at least not on the higher-resolution NEX-7) but they're not too bad.

I notice this lens and the 28mm have a pretty distinct field curvature that can make focusing tricky - frustrating sometimes for flat subjects. (I mis-focused the eyes a bit on the couple shot from doing the "focus & recompose" method that usually works better. Grrr...)

I like the overall Minolta vibe, though! There's a certain attractive, almost grainy quality I've noticed with this and the 28mm.

minolta24-2. minolta24.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have this lens coming and I'll be using it on a 5n. I'm intested how it'll compare to my Hexanon 24/2.8. I really like 36mm EFL and I have heard a lot of great things about this lens ( also I havebeenvery impressed with theRokkors I have).

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Couple hints I can offer. 1) When possible, use the curved field to your advantage. Like for those landscapes with foliage in the foreground. Or interiors, looking through a narrow room. 2) When the critical subject area is toward the edge of the frame, do NOT "focus then recompose".

Looking forward to seeing your results! :)