Minolta 100-300 APO and Sony 55-210 for NEX

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by BLUK, Jan 27, 2016.

1. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Hello camera mates!
    I have a Minolta 100-300 as in the title thread and seek advice if I should buy the Sony 55-210Atpresent I use minolta lens with AF adapter on Sony bodies A7 and will use it with A6000.
    Should I stick to what I have? I know focal length is different. Will there be any noticeable difference in image quality?
    Thanks in advance.

2. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    I took friends 55-210 to Monza race circuit last summer, and I must I don't like this lens at all. It is typical kit lens, useful in many things, cheap, small for 200+mm, but it kills the magic of big sensor cameras. Nothing in this lens I like. Depends how high your expectations are and why do you want it. At the end, it works, at least for this money. Its autofocus performance is really nothing special.

100-300 I don't know anything about. :)

3. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thank you for your reply.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have this lens. There are a lot of varying opinions on it. I did not find it so bad, perhaps it depends on what you are shooting with it. I have mostly used it in natural settings as opposed to a race track - bird shots and such. It is not a high-end lens but works well enough for my purposes.

I have not used the Minolta 100-300 either and so cannot compare.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The SEL55210 was designed to be an affordable APS-C long zoom. It's nice and compact and can return some very good images. But it's a slow lens. Therefore don't expect it to be able to handle sports, airshows, races, etc. It's convenient for the a6000 as a travel lens combo.
    My copy seems a bit soft at 210mm. And less impressive in low light.
    I have a comparable Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4 to your Minolta. But it's a tripod lens, too bulky for hand-held shooting. And ridiculously heavy to lug around. That's when the Sony shines. If you think you'll need a longer focal length often, get one if you don't want to carry the APO everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thank you everybody. For now I think I will keep my lens but the light weight and compactness is also attractive on new lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.