1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta 100-300 APO and Sony 55-210 for NEX

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by BLUK, Jan 27, 2016.

1. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Hello camera mates!
    I have a Minolta 100-300 as in the title thread and seek advice if I should buy the Sony 55-210Atpresent I use minolta lens with AF adapter on Sony bodies A7 and will use it with A6000.
    Should I stick to what I have? I know focal length is different. Will there be any noticeable difference in image quality?
    Thanks in advance.

2. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    I took friends 55-210 to Monza race circuit last summer, and I must I don't like this lens at all. It is typical kit lens, useful in many things, cheap, small for 200+mm, but it kills the magic of big sensor cameras. Nothing in this lens I like. Depends how high your expectations are and why do you want it. At the end, it works, at least for this money. Its autofocus performance is really nothing special.

100-300 I don't know anything about. :)

3. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thank you for your reply.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have this lens. There are a lot of varying opinions on it. I did not find it so bad, perhaps it depends on what you are shooting with it. I have mostly used it in natural settings as opposed to a race track - bird shots and such. It is not a high-end lens but works well enough for my purposes.

I have not used the Minolta 100-300 either and so cannot compare.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The SEL55210 was designed to be an affordable APS-C long zoom. It's nice and compact and can return some very good images. But it's a slow lens. Therefore don't expect it to be able to handle sports, airshows, races, etc. It's convenient for the a6000 as a travel lens combo.
    My copy seems a bit soft at 210mm. And less impressive in low light.
    I have a comparable Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4 to your Minolta. But it's a tripod lens, too bulky for hand-held shooting. And ridiculously heavy to lug around. That's when the Sony shines. If you think you'll need a longer focal length often, get one if you don't want to carry the APO everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thank you everybody. For now I think I will keep my lens but the light weight and compactness is also attractive on new lens.