Milky Way at Death Valley, CA

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by clydestuh, Jul 7, 2013.

1. clydestuh

clydestuh TalkEmount Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1373239125.219919.
    Sony Nex-7/Sigma 19mm 2.8
    30" exposure/3200ISO/Badwater Basin Natl. Park

A cool 107 degree ground temp at 10:45 PM with oven like breeze blowin on my face. As soon as I'm done setting up and focused properly, small dark clouds rolled right in front of my shot.

Overall,IHMO the nex-7 with the EVF is horrible under very low light conditions. My way of focusing with the Sigma (which does not have an infinity stop) is focus on my girlfriends flashlight when she was about 35ft away with focus peaking. Locked in the focus and tried my best to compose the shot with the horizon.

2. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    How frustrating to not have an infinity stop; would adding an extension tube solve this for the Sigma? Beautiful photo nonetheless, at first glance those look like Magellenic and not atmospheric clouds!

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Focussing under these conditions is hard at the beginning. Until you realize there's got to be a single star that's bright enough to show up on the screen with 14x magnification. Always.

Btw., Death Valley counts as one of the best places on earth to capture the night sky. Must be wonderful down there!

4. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks bud! I'm really not sure what extension tubes do for focusing but the live view and the EVF were totally black :( Focusing on a visible and near object(my gf and her flashlight) was taught to me by a fellow photographer whom I went with. It was sort of frustrating at first but when u get the kinks from having an EVF out of the way, the fun starts!

5. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    I persevered through :) The wonderful part was when I got back in the car and blasted that bone chilling a/c on my face lol. I bet in the fall months conditions are far best but I don't know how the stars will be placed.

6. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Came out great, clydestuh!

7. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you, I appreciate it much! Also I heard from one of the photographers in my group that his later photos got noisier due to the sensor heating up, anyone heard of this issue?

8. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Did you have Long Exposure NR on or off? Just wondering your preferences.

9. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    I had it both on and off. I preferred with it off since having it on made the image processing longer and from what I was told there (depending on the cameras AI) that having it on may actually get rid of "true stars"

10. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    an extension tube would prevent you from focusing on infinity. Extension tubes allow you to focus closer, infinity focus is lost.

11. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.