Migrating from A77 to NEX platform?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by k5052, Jan 14, 2014.

1. k5052

k5052 New to TalkEmount

Jan 13, 2014
    Hi fellow TalkEmount users,

As I just registered on this forum, I was curious how many users have experience of using Minolta AF lenses on their Sony e-mount camera's. How does it compare with using the A-mount lenses on their native platform (a-mount camera's)?

I'm probably making the step from my trusty old A77 to the Sony A7 with a AE4 adapter. The main reason is the fact that I have legacy lenses as well and the upgrade in image quality + using lenses from other systems are quite attractive to me. (I have used this in my advantage as well when I had a M43 camera). I presume my flashes will work perfectly as before with the adapter Sony can supply (Minolta hotshoe to the universal hotshoe).

My current setup is:
    • Sony Alpha 77
    • Minolta AF 24 f/2.8
    • Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    • Minolta AF 35-105 f/3.5-4.5
    • Minolta AF 70-210 f/4.0
    • Minolta 3600 HSD flash (2x)
    • Minolta 5600 HSD flash
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Welcome. I don't use Minolta/Sony A lenses but hopefully sb here will help you.
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

I believe there is an adapter that will allow you to AF Minolta's, but I don't have it.
  4. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Hello from Canada

I still have both getting the A7R with LA-EA4 on Nov 28th and only used with Alpha lenses and SR/MC/MD lenses with MD/NEX adapters.

The lenses will work well ( in fact very well, almost like what you are used to on your A77) in daylight but be advised that with ANY adapter for lenses, the AF assist illuminator will not work (even the ones on flashes) as per the instructions for the cameras available from the Sony site and after testing myself, it is true. So you may want to decide otherwise if you do a lot of low light/flash pics.

Your lenses are all legacy full frame so this will be OK

Beware that the flash adapter (ADP-MAA) has had numerous issues with flashes dropping due to the adapter not locking well on the cameras ( A99 is most notable example). I have 2 on order from both a Sony store and an independent camera store (since Nov 28th 2013) and they are not being delivered ( maybe Sony is about to release a new version to eliminate the flash droppings)

But then you won't be able to do WL flash with your present set-up with this camera since only the HVL-43M or 20M or 60M can be used as triggers for WL ( or HVL-F20AM, F43AM, F58AM with the said ADP-MAA adapter) . The Minolta's 3600HSD, 5600HSD, Sony HVL-F36AM, F42AM and 56AM can not be used as WL controllers, only as remote flashes.

In any case, if you have the budget, i would get the HVL-F43M as main source and keep the other 2 as WL flashes or sell one of the 2 if you do some WL flash ( the 43M or 20M or 60M can control other Sony/Minolta flashes remotely but your Minolta flashes won't control anything and when mounted on the hot shoe adapter, only TTL and HSS direct flash will work)
    • Like Like x 1