Mid-tier AF FE lenses I'd like to see from Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WT21, Dec 23, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I'd like to see Sony continue their series of the 28/2 lens with an AF affordable 40/2. It could be the same size as the 28 (thereabouts). Pancake would be great, but not if it's like the E-mount 16, which is not a good lens IMO. The 55 is too tight for me, and the 28 is very useful, but I need something in the more "normal" range.

I'd also love an affordable 85/2 with reasonable close focusing (maybe an MM of .25x). On full frame and with the high ISO of the a7 series, I don't really need faster then f/2.0.

A 28/40/85 f/2.0 series would go a long way to helping me get more into the a7 a bit more than just my 28/legacy glass/70-200 current use case.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I guess Sony rather have us pick their 35/2.8 (or 55/1.8) instead of an affordable 40/2 or their 90/2.8 instead of a cheaper 85/2 but I could imagine them adding something like a 40/2.8 pancake to their lineup at some time. Just my 2 ...

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Can I please have an AFFORDABLE/reasonably priced 16-70 f/2.8 zoom lens? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    reports suggest it's coming soon, however, not sure about the affordable/reasonably priced bit.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    16-70 though? I've heard the rumor for a 24-70...

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I'm more miffed that Sigma, Tamron, Tokina haven't offered more in (F)E-mount. There is obviously a demand with all the holes. They hold the affordable banner high for decades now. And can challenge 1st tier performance wise.

I wouldn't mind a fast constant aperture, mid zoom myself. f/2.8 35-105mm or 135mm. (More than long enough for APS-C and perfect for a 2-lens vacation solution. The 55-210 is too slow and longer than required.) To keep cost and size down, I could do without OSS.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nick do you still have your APS-C hat on? 16-70 2.8 FF is some imagination. Doing it for a reasonable price is sci-fi. :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2014
    A decent 24-70 with good IQ would make me happy, don't care for constant aperture just not keen on a heavy 2.8 nor am I keen on electro zoom though if it was good you never know I may be persuaded.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    A range of small and high-quality primes would be nice, something like 21/4, 28/2.8, 40/2.8, 100/2.8. I'm allowed to dream, right? But wait, we already have the FE 28/2? Not for me, from what I see I don't like color and contrast although it looks sharp enough. I hope Zeiss will expand their Loxia and Batis ranges, way to go as far as I'm concerned; I don't think it'll take too long before I have a Loxia 21mm on my camera. It seems that Sony is giving in to the screaming for f/2.8 zooms and when they arrive, everybody will balk at their price and size. I suppose it'll take a few years before Sony switches its main focus from the higher-end lenses to mid-price ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Ad,

I have the Loxia 21 in my sights too! :D

11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It's kind of a complicated picture. For slightly less IQ & subject isolation at a lower price, the APS-C line already exists. Many pairings in that system also have the advantage of being quicker and more compact.
    OTOH, since Sigma contributed so handily to APS-C E-mount with their 19mm, 30mm & 60mm primes, one would hope they might eventually do a similar thing for the now-popular FE lineup: some moderately slow, affordable plastic primes that perform nicely and don't take up too much space. That's easy for me to speculate, though - I'm not the one fronting the development & marketing costs! o_O

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Golem

Golem TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2015
    No.

Given what it takes to design and built a fast
    16-70, a reasonable price will not be a really
    affordable price [unless you want garbage].

This thread is about "mid-tier" and I'm not at
    all suggesting that you are intentionally off
    topic. I am guessing that you were unaware
    that 16-70/2.8 is way beyond mid-tier. Now
    you know :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I was joking but I guess my humour was not received as I intended it to be...

:)