1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Microsoft's dishonesty with it's customers is uncovered / revealed

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Feb 11, 2016.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Is fox news just now getting around to this 'story'? Sheesh.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    You must be a speed reader to have read the whole article by the time you replied
    :)

4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Someone just now tipped Jacob Siegal his junk pics are being laughed @ somewhere in Redmond. This whistle blower wasted no time informing the rest of the tech community what we already Knew since the PREVIEW BUILDS..

5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I actually commented w/o clicking. Then I read it to just to be sure of its content lacking, fear mongering.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    To be clear...are you saying the article is wrong?

7. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I didn't know this, and have been looking at Win 10 machines since my eyes started watering at replace-my-mac prices. I think I'll go back to spending too much, lol. But this is happening with a lot of technology now. "Big Data" you know! Everyone wants it. I'm currently using Google Chrome against my wishes, because Firefox is dogging it, but I know I'm just adding more personal data to the google machine.

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Quite the contrary. First and Foremost [FOX NEWS] isn't NEWS! but that's another story.
    Without getting too political and or stirring the proverbial pot, Ed Snowden did what he did to open our eyes.
    Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that Microsoft is Big Brother. Google did their part in making each and everyone of us 'products' providing them with invaluable data. Ever wonder why every google service is free? (gmail, search, voice(lol), keep, finance, etc) Data they use, sell, exploit to make their products better/profit. It was no surprise to me to see the data collection as an integrated part of Windows. Look @ the huge success that is Android. Microsoft has sat back and watched their empire crumble, and the takeaway? Google collects data! Ever seen how many times an Android phone sends data to Google servers (even when the phone isn't in use). Apple is no saint either.

what am I getting at? The orwellian nature of big companies like google, microsoft, apple is of no real shock. It's been going on for quite some time. Worried? Paranoid? good you should be.

Now unless there is truly something worth hiding, windows 10 gets the job done for me on my laptop. (not that i don't go and disable all this shit, cuz i do) One point the article author forgot to mention (widely available info on the net) editing the host file and sending all those mircosoft ip's to your 127 addy clears this all up.[there's no place like 127.0.0.1] My win 10 host file is fking huge, i try to update the ip list once a month.

what TRULY pisses me off is that there is no way of opting out of or choosing which updates are installed on windows 10, nor even WHEN they install. Entire process is automated and in the background. The really nasty bit is that with each update MicroSHAFT re-enables Cortana and all telemetry services. The process begins anew after each update, (excuse my language) but i f@#king hate Cortana.

electronic communications are far from private. know this. encryption is the next thing they'll sell us on, but only after Washington gets their backdoors in (no pun)

/rant

now i guess it's time for coffee

EDIT: oh yea i forgot to mention Microsoft was so hip to collect our data they sent their telemetry services down to win 8 and win 7 via updates ... njoy! and quite some time ago too!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, understand all that...the point of the article I was trying to share was the simple fact that in spite of MS claiming we could disable all that collection, they were still stealing it from it users anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i'll admit i wasn't even out of bed yet when i came across this post. and "fox, Microsoft, data, stealing" it just pushed all my buttons at once. I need a day in the woods!

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Funny. I just assume this is par for the course and most people are aware of this. Anyone that doesn't get this isn't really paying attention. This thing about opting out and license agreements, always has such nuanced language, I stopped paying attention; I'm not an attorney. It's written to confuse me. If it was simply saying you won't take anything from me, it wouldn't be a page long carefully crafted doc written by the legal team at Microsoft, Apple, or Google. As a result, I assume if I'm connected, stuff is subject to be captured. It's not because I'm just a cynical person. I have been an IT professional for a number of years and have watched things involve to this point. I accept it as a reality and move on, because trying to navigate around these realities will either be futile or too time consuming. Moreover, my client experience won't be as fulfilling, the fact is their are positive aspects of this too. Most products simply work better as a result of the data collection.

I love Google products, but the fact is the reason people find their products great is because of the data they collect, they more tailored the results are to that individual. Apple fans are not immune. There is a reason you must have itunes and Apple ID to take advantage of Apple products. Ever wonder why Siri sucks without a data connection? It's not the app that's great, it's the huge database and server that processes your question. Ever wonder why Siri, Google Now or Cortana get better the more you use them? The same reason a friend can buy you a better gift than a stranger; he/she knows more about you. Do you use iMessage? It's great right? Free texting! Try getting rid of an iPhone and moving to an Android. My wife did this. Boy was she surprised that texts from friends to her "cell phone number" were still going through Apple servers to her inactive iPhone that my 8yr old daughter was now using as a wifi mp3 player. NOT GOOD! (How To Make Sure You Still Get Texts If You Ditch Your iPhone). I can go on and on, but you get the point.

Bottom line - It's not the end of the world, it's just the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Wait! Are you telling me that giant corporations don't have my best interests at heart? :eek-30:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Well, if you are stockholder, you are more closely aligned, though agency issues always make it murky who the management team is ACTUALLY working for.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I had the article / link shared with me and read it.
    Then I thought of sharing here with fellow forum members in case anyone might not have been aware that the "MS Win10 opt out feature" really doesn't opt out the user. Didn't know most everybody already knew this...no need to waste server space, so Moderators / Admins, free to delete the thread.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Well, I didn't know, and I certainly appreciated the post!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Roundball, my response wasn't targeting the OP. I apologize if it came off that way. I would bet the responses are just expressions of everyone's feelings on the topic. Some like me have been beaten and just accept it. Others are unaware, others are still fighting the good fight. I think it's great that you posted this. It's always good to share information you find out. Even if many already know, there are people like yourself who do not. At most it can spark interesting discussion, at a minimum people can ignore it. Server space is cheap these days. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I had made plans to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 this year after it had settled down but now...after finding out about Microsoft's blatant deceit in coding phony 'opt out choices' for users while the whole time having them actually coded to collect the information anyway...has completely turned me off on the idea.
    As it is, I have zero problems with Win 7 anyway and since recently replacing all my old motor driven Hard Drives with new high speed 'Solid State Drives', my laptop performance & speed are to die for...so I'll just stick with what I've got until further notice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Do take a peek at the last link i posted, in the 'Edit:' Shows you exactly which updates to remove if you don't want telemetry capturing your info.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I just assume that everything I do on the Internet is tracked and collected by dozens of companies (and governments), and will remain accessible to them until I die and well beyond. So I try to exercise a little common sense about what I do and say here. Just as I do on the street.

That said, the non-specific paranoia about the potential consequences of logging on can be pretty comical. I also frequent some motorcycle forums, and there are many people who post pictures of their bike with the license plate carefully obscured. When I have asked them why they do that, given that anyone who sees them riding around can easily see their license plate number, I usually get the equivalent of a blank stare or a lot of tin-foil hat gibberish. :hide:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    What used to be done quietly and covertly is now done blatantly. Thank the Patriot Act.
    It's worthwhile discussion, and informative. So don't fret about posting this topic, roundball. Like you, I'm on the fence about upgrading my old systems to Win10. This thread helped weigh my consequences. I'm sure as this develops there will be more info and a grassroots effort will try to circumvent as much as this as possible. God bless the hackers.
    Hello Linux!

Google is notorious when it comes to this. Sure its services are free, but at what cost? We must accept that ALL data entered by you is given full ownership rights to Google to do with... forever. No surprise our email is passed along to the NSA. Or your photos being used by them once you've uploaded to PicasaWeb or Google Drive.

When a former FBI agent advises everyone to provide false personal information when filling out things, one should shut that TV off and take notice.

• Agree Agree x 1