1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro adjust focus on A7R ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NullMind, Jan 20, 2015.

1. NullMind

NullMind TalkEmount Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    Can you do micro adjustment of focus per lens on A7R like you can do on a Canon 6D for example ?

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    My understanding is as the focus is built into the sensor, micro focus adjust is not required.
    Reason being, in an SLR the phase detect is a separate sensor which takes light diverted by the mirror, as such, the light has travelled a slightly different distance compared to when the mirror is flipped up and hitting the sensor - of course they are designed with this in mind but with each different lens the distance may shift forward or back a few microns which depending on the type of lens, may have a noticeable difference. This difference in distance is what required focus adjust.
    On any camera using contrast focus, or in sensor phase there cannot be any difference in distance to account for.

I'll try and find article I read this in and post it, but it makes sense as also, from what I have seen, the micro adjust menu only comes available on Emount cameras when you fit the LAEA2/4 as this adds a mirror and dedicated phase detect sensor and so the above problem.

3. NullMind

NullMind TalkEmount Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    I see !!! .. makes sense :) .. would be great to read the article if you find it, but reading what you wrote makes me think indeed this does not apply to mirror-less cameras ..

4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I read the same thing. And I can confirm that on my 5t the micro adjust only came available when I rented the laea2.

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Hmm. So you are saying i'll have to pay attention to this with the 5r and la-ea4?

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yes - easy to test though, take a read of that article.

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Heh I tried to skim it and didn't get much. I'll have to give it more attention when i can. LAea4 on the way. So i better make time.