Miami with the Sony NEX5

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by robfactory, Oct 19, 2014.

1. robfactory

robfactory TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    I went around Downtown miami with my first NEX camera. Most of the shots if not all were taken with the kit lens. Also, all edited through an Android mobile device.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice street photos!

So, you shot those with a DSLR or your Nex5? D

3. robfactory

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    Oops, my Nex 5

4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    nice series

• Like Like x 1
  5. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Nice city scenes....Miami is definitely a great place for the unusual opportunities.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Great shots. Love them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, all hold my interest. But that first one is special.

• Like Like x 1
  8. robfactory

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    Thanks for the kind words

9. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Something I've often wondered about, considering some of the more individual type shots of people in street photography, do any of them ever take any offense to being photographed?

10. robfactory

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    I don't ask. I just shoot and move along. That or I take the shot in such a way where it looks like I'm looking through photos rather than taking a photo

• Like Like x 1
  11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I took a shot of a guy in Newtown and he was not happy, but as it was with my film camera I could not offer to delete the photo, I apologised and moved along. Heard its a good idea to take some prints of your pictures to show people if they get offended.

• Like Like x 1
  12. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    In London this weekend (see my recent thread), a guy said to me I should ask before I shoot as its a market and the sellers get funny, I wasn't shooting anyone at the time, camera was just hung round my neck. I just said 'oh right' and carried on shooting. There were 2 or 3 other guys doing similar to me.
    It's a public space, the law is clear (in the UK at least), I figure if you don't want people to photograph you doing something then don't do it in public!
    As you can see from a couple of my shots, it must have been obvious I was shooting and no one said a word, the market had a really nice vibe, and I spoke to loads of people about many subjects on my wander round and they were all lovely!

• Like Like x 1
  13. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    thanks for reminding us that it is not the camera

14. robfactory

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    @José De Bardi
    I do agree with the fact that if you're at a public place, then if there is someone shooting then let them be. Now, if they are obviously just shooting you and take more than one that requires talking to the photographer.
    I've never had anyone come up to me and tell me not to take their picture. I've had people ask me politely to remove them from Instagram, and I have, but not my site.
    I also try to shoot very discretely as not to be noticed. And I also have headphones on most of the time, so if they try to get my attention they give up realizing I can't hear them.
    Here is a link to a series I had called People of Miami. All of them where shot with my mobile phone. http://www.robfactory.com/2013/07/people-being-people.html

15. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Nice series. I also shoot very discreetly most of the time. However the alternate is to shoot very obviously, and people seem to be OK with that.
    It seems people tend to not like it if you shoot discreetly and they notice you doing it - I guess they think you are trying to capture them doing something stupid and not realise the reason for the discreetness is actually to capture natural poses etc.

No one has ever actually asked me not to shoot them, or even not to publish, so I will just carry on :)