1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metz 52 AF-1: Use as master without it firing

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Poki, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I got my Metz 52 AF-1 today which I wanted to use to trigger my Metz 15 MS-1. Now the question is why is the 52 AF-1 firing when used as a master flash CTRL power set to '----'? Because it shouldn't fire in that case, right? Or am I doing something wrong? (I use the CTRL+-TTL-mode with ratio set to 1 for RMT and RMT2 and ---- for CTRL)

Any ideas what's wrong?

2. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Does it have to fire to trigger the slave?

Have you checked line of sight for the MS-15 IR sensor? If you have direct line of sight between both flashes, is it still firing to trigger the slave?

3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    see page 161 of the 52 AF-1 IB i got on the web. But i am not sure i understand

10.1 Remote master mode settings
    The slave groups RMT and RMT2 are activated
    at the factory.
    The master flash unit (CTRL) and the slave
    groups RMT and RMT2 can be activated or
    deactivated!
    If the master flash (CTRL) unit is deactivated,
    it only controls the slave units and does contribute to exposing the shot!

If i understand well, you need to put the flash Control mode in off position but the camera on WL.
    Checked the french translation and it says similar
    Difficult to try from a book

In the 15 MS-1 manual they mention an infrared clamp that i guess should be supplied to be placed in front of built-in flashes that can be used as triggers on Sony Alpha cameras in order to eliminate exposure contribution from the built-in flash. Can this actually fit over the flash head of the 52AF-1 ????

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I figured it out in the meantime. The Metz 52 AF-1 actually fires to control his slaves (I thought this happened strictly over infrared), but it fires before the shutter opens so that it doesn't contribute to the exposure.

And nope, the infrared clamp is only for the built-in flash in case you use servo mode.