1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metabones MD Speed Booster - anybody tried it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jai, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
  2. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Saw that this was available the other day. Would love to see comparisons vs the existing chinese adapters.

3. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Most likey, the MB will have a better coating than the Len Turbo. Most LT's have the blue dot problem (which is being fixed with a newer version) but the MB doesn't have the blue dot problem. Also, the mount maybe better than the LT. I don't know if it's worth the $200+ Price tag over the LT though. If you're looking to use it for Professional reason, then it is. But if you're just an enthusiast looking for that FF look, the LT dose a fine job.

4. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Well... I decided to order it?

It was this white paper that convinced me in the end.

http://www.metabones.com/images/metabones/Speed Booster White Paper.pdf

Appart from FF view and extra stop, it also promises better resolution/contrast... so that is interesting. It does seem to make sense, because more information is being forced onto a smaller area. Not what people tend to experience with the Lens Turbo though?

Anyway, I hope that turns out to be true. Will post samples when it arives.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    So I'd like to see some comparison shots with the nex 6 with speed booster vs A7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I suppose if you didnt already have a camera, buying the A7 is almost the same money as a Nex 6 plus a speed booster.

But if you mount an MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4 on the A7 it will behave like a f1.4 lens. On the metabones speed booster it will become a 50mm f1.0, which will be kinda crazy.

7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Well I have the lens turbo for fd and it really isn't sharp wide open. I've been using it on a 55 1.2

If the metabones is that much better I may try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    If you read the white paper I linked to, on page 20 they show a comparison shot with a 50mm f1.4 Carl Zeiss lens on Yashica/Contax mount.

The comparison photos are shot wide open, and it actually shows an increase in sharpness with the Speed Booster. To be taken with a grain of salt (it is marketing material after all) but looks promising

9. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    The Metabones Speedbooster works. I use the C/Y speedbooster on my NEX 7 with some very nice results. I have posted this before but here is my speedbooster folder on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157633126249795/

The difference between the Metabones product and all the rest is one of design, investment and commitment. Metabones actually hired Brian Caldwell, a noted lens engineer, to help perfect the already existing idea of the focal reducer (which has been around forever) and apply it to a quality device for the new crop of mirrorless cameras. All of the other companies products were just 'me to' products that quickly copied the very clever idea that Metabones was able to bring to market. Metabones spent time, money and effort in creating a product that delivered on its promises. Every single other focal reducer made after that was simply a hastily thrown together play on the concept with no concern for quality testing or image quality but rather simply to make money on somebody else's idea. The blue dot problem is proof positive of this. Nobody 'engineered' the lens turbo. They just threw some cheap coke bottle glass together in a close approximation of the real Mckoy on dropped it on the market at a discounted price. Result? Less then stellar performance and blue dots.

Remember, a focal reducer is just another lens you are putting on your camera. And like all other new lens products you get what you pay for. If you are going to go thru all the trouble to use a really good quality legacy lense then dont jam a crappily made piece of inferior glass between it and the sensor. I was nervous using the speedbooster the first time but as far as Im concerned it has delivered on its promises.

On a side note, I used to shoot Minolta glass almost exclusively on my NEX. But I went with the C/Y version since I also have a love of old Yashica ML lenses. I am very interested in the MD speedbooster but it is unfortunately not in the budget right now. I would be interested to see anything you are able to capture using it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Your metabones shots are beautiful, just stunning. I assume many of those were shot wide open, but don't seem to suffer for it. Thanks!

I think it's hard to justify the price of metabones unless you have a lot of glass on that particular mount. My collection has grown to dinner-party-embarrassment levels. I hope my 50mm Rokkors produce Bokeh as good as your 50mm Yashicas. Also excited to use my 24mm Rokkor as an actual wide angle.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Better be careful, you might like it here in Emountlandia. :p

Welcome BTW. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Hahaha Jim... I'm very happy in m43 land with a Speed booster... but recently I have become bitten by the Zeiss monster and to get to an effective 28'ish I would have to look at the 21mm Distagon... which is prohibitively expensive. The total for a 28mm Distagon, Nex 5n, evf, and a speed booster is cheaper! So I peek over here from time to time - I'm very interested in seeing how Metabones performs on the nex. I have no doubts on the m43 platform. I'm sold there.

14. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks jai. Most of them were indeed wide open. And I forgot to mention not all the shots were from C/Y lenses, some were from M42's using an M42/CY adapter and some were from Tamron Adaptall lenses, which can be used with a C/Y adaptall mount. Glad you liked the photos. :)

15. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Testing

I have been testing out the metabones MD to nex, and after a while wondering why my shots were looking crap i eventually figured out I wasn't able to achieve manual focus.

I was about to write a strongly worded letter to metabones, but then i figured out it was adjustable.

http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/155-infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

With my 24mm F2.8 lens at F8, this is what i originally got with focus set to infinity:

10752112173_79c28ca9e6_b.
    DSC07176 (1) by lenstestingaccount, on Flickr

After a fair bit of tweaking, i managed to get it looking pretty good i think.

10751885576_4e2532c522_b.
    DSC07195 by lenstestingaccount, on Flickr

Pretty dodgy that it was this far off though? It wasn't just with that lens, but with everything i tested

16. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    The 50mm MD Rokkor F1.7 i have is basically unusable, because I can't stop it down?

The depth of field preview lever on the back on the lens is catching on the adapter somehow. Luckily I don't have the same problem with the 50mm MD F1.5, or any of my other lenses.

The adapter is pretty heavy, so when combined with the 50mm F1.4 it has a substantial heft.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    A bit of an update in case anybody is interested.

The metabones speedbooster for MD glass is far from perfect. I have had to cut the depth of field preview tab off quite a few of my lenses now to get them to stop down. Pretty disappointing considering how much I paid for the adapter.

And it is super heavy. And most photos I take with it have very noticeable vignette.

I should have really sent the thing back! But I didn’t, because I kinda love it.

The images that I take with it just pop, in a way they never did with a dumb adapter. The extra contrast is really noticeable. The vignette often looks nice. And it is really nice to get the field of view Minolta intended, especially with my 24mm f2.8.

Bottom line is, I haven’t used any of my MD glass without it since I got it 2 months ago.

11939354443_04de431ff2_b.
    Dreamy by forumphotos1

11939045725_6765609df6_b.
    Metabones by forumphotos1, on Flickr

11939985026_c9c1b52c43_b.
    Vignette by forumphotos1, on Flickr

I guess it is probably a lot less relevant now, as you could probably get an A7 for the price of a nex 6 with a metabones adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Question to Jai:

Did you ever try at very small pertures like F11 or F16 in highly reflective scenes like white wall with dark subject or with the sun at a close angle to the lens to see if you get the purple center blur ? I have a Zhongyi and this effect is the only defect that i found to these

10089628195_7c03f01e13_b.

20. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    No, that is one definite advantage of the Metabones. I have never seen this issue in any of my shots.

• Like Like x 1