Metabones firmware update

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dmward, Jun 2, 2015.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I just downloaded and installed a firmware update on my Metabones IV adapter.
    Firmware update V0.41 for EF-E Smart AdapterTM MARK IV

After downloading and updating the adapter I did a quick test with my Canon 300 F4L IS.
    Previously this lens would not adjust aperture or support IS.

With the new firmware both appear to be working.

I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow. If it indeed is a reliable update I am going to be very happy. I liked the 300 on my 5DIII and was disappointed when it wouldn't work at other than max aperture with the Metabones IV.

This was with an A7II not sure about other camera bodies.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Here is a test shot this morning.
    ISO 400, 1/100 sec at F8.0

I'm impressed. 1/100 sec handheld. I'm not nearly that good without the IS help. I did go into the menu and set Steady Shoot to manual and the focal length to 300. As I understand it that means the Canon IS and the IBIS are working together.

Some sharpening and Kodachrome preset applied. Handheld with 300mm F4.0 IS Canon EF on A7II via Metabones IV with the latest firmware.

One thing I noticed while testing is that once in a while the camera will go dark when changing the F stop. I have to wiggle the Metabones/lens in the camera mount and turn the camera off and back on. Then it works fine.
    This seems to occur only when doing a large aperture change quickly. Not sure whether its the firmware not able to keep up or if its just a loose connection between the lens/adapter/camera interface.

Its annoying but something I can live with.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1