Messed up BIG time with Lady portraits

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Mystic, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Mystic

Mystic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi my first photoshoot with Sony NEX 6, first I post here, but i'm not totally new to photography. however the photoshoot is in a way dissapointment because, the day was bright and full of snow, and I could shoot with ISO 200 or simply auto ISO, but I accidentally left ISO 3200 on my camera. so here are the result of the forgetful mind. Damn it! what will I say to the model.. we need to reshoot.. nothing else.. :(
    camera NEX 6
    16-50mm kit lens
    model - Jolita.
    any comments on composition?
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    your being very hard on yourself for no reason,you can only play the cards your dealt, they are excellent and the model is too, for looking so good despite the cold

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    2nd, 3rd and last are the best. They could probably be much better with a fast prime though, I'd like a little further subject isolation. That's a good and promising start, don't get upset over it, just reshoot and do even better.

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    How about the smile from one, they eyes from another, like this...

dsc00587yB.

BTW, if I were paying you for photos of my girl or wife (her), and you gave me the last two you posted, I'd be VERY pleased. Just sayin'

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I would agree, I think you're being too hard on yourself. That last one is definitely a keeper.

6. allcity

allcity TalkEmount Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Ron
    i agree w/ nianys, get a a prime and get more subject isolation. it's not a bad first attempt. i'm looking forward to seeing more from the the reshoot. :)

7. Mystic

Dec 7, 2012
    thanks Gio for the encouragement to me and and the model.

I hope you guys understand how much better all of them would have been if ISO 200 would have been used instead of 3200. of course a fast prime would bring the quality even further., thanks Nianys for encouragement.

:) nice manipulation ShredD, haven't thought about that myself, will try to replicate your idea. thanks for another encouragement.

Thanks Bimjo, glad you liked it.

thanks for a visit Allcity, surely, I'll post some of the photos, when I'll reshoot.

8. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    No offense everyone, but I HATE it when someone asks for comments on photos and a response is "buy this..." or "buy that..." and reshoot. In this case, he has what he has, shot what he shot, and posted for comments. The answer isn't always MORE equipment. Yes some lenses are more suited to portraits, some to sports, and some to convenience. Even some are just economical alternatives. I've taught photography at university for years, and buying more stuff is usually last on the list of considerations for those asking for insight.

Mystic, you have good gear. Looks like a decent eye as well. Learn what you have, it is certainly capable of giving you 90% of what you see in your mind's eye, maybe more. IMHO, the best advice is...

Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot some more, shoot, shoot, shoot.

Never consider anything a "reshoot" unless an actual mistake happens (like a dead card, or corrupt files). NOTHING is a reshoot, it is the NEXT shoot. A single lens or a bag of gear doesn't make YOU better. Using what you HAVE does. We've all seen self-proclaimed "pros" with better gear than us, and no eye. Somewhere along the way, you'll pick up gear, there's no doubt about that, but learn the tools you have first. If you're getting this caliber of result with what you have just shoot more. You're farther along than most already. Develop your EYE, not your BAG (both IS always a nice option though...).

If I had access to models like that, I'd not be here posting. I'd be at, or scouting for, the next shoot.

9. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I agree, those are wise words Shred,
    one mans meat is another mans poison, make the best of what you have and improve your technique, I thought he done great with the available light, and nice poses by the model

don't quite agree with you on that one though :eek:

10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Advising a fast prime doesn't equate in my mind as a request for "more" gear, but rather as "less". And in this case, less is more. Sure, there was an issue with the ISo 1600, but the cam is good enough that the outcome was not technically really flawed, so let's put that aside for a minute.
    Good looking model and location. Yet, something is not unleashed here. I do believe a faster (or longer) lens, anything that would have allowed the subject to stand out more would have really upped the game. In these (promising, no doubt) shots I see a tentative model not too sure of herself and certainly not giving all her potential. I'd include either more environment (background) or less of it. The framing/composition in the posted shots is a little in between. The OP asked for sincere feedback. I do think the shots are good and above average, but I also think a little constructive criticism goes a long way. Those shots are certainly perfectible and can be vastly improved, and I believe when delivered in a kind and positive way, a little encouragement to try again and do better is more valuable than plain praise.

11. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    After a few hundred students, I learned to never plant a seed of doubt. Saying his equipment is lacking can be just that seed. Most new photogs, even those with potential like Mystic, then nurture that seed, often subconsciously, when the next shoot isn't perfection. Anyone even half-serious about this art will learn from doing that a narrower focal length and larger aperture can POSSIBLY yield better portraits, that's hardly a trade secret, but saying they'd "be much better with a fast prime" could in effect tell him that improvement is out of his grasp if such equipment isn't practically available. I guess as an educator, I just try to accentuate the positive. This is an awesome "first photoshoot"! I doubt any lens would have made it better based on the relative inexperience of the shooter.

Mystic, in my class, you would have passed this assignment with flying colors.

12. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Oh, and I'm not one of those teachers who rewards mediocrity as a panacea to the community. Good work is good work.

13. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    both interesting analogies, no winners or losers here just a clash of opinions, which is in itself healthy.
    I feel mystic accepted his gaffe ie leaving the iso on3200, but felt confident enough and pleased enough (despite his initial post and thread title suggesting otherwise) with his photos,to show the photos without fear of criticism.

14. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Top photos dude excellent work keep it up! Photography is a wonderful thing is it not?
    Such variety in subject matter - brilliant! :)

15. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    If they're not going to be blown-up into large prints I wouldn't worry about the high ISO. Perhaps in the future, make a basic checklist that you run through before you start any shooting session, especially when models or hard to re-do situations are involved. Check for dust on the lens elements and sensor, check ISO and mode settings, check for battery levels and spares, things like that and so on... a quick check that's finished under a minute. This will ensure that past mistakes can be avoided, and it will also restore your confidence that your equipment and settings are all good before you start. It's a good habit to develop.

Photo 1 and 2 are great! I also like photo 3 (the colours of your model and the background work really well) but because you have pulled back to include and therefore give the background equal dominance in the composition, it is now competing for attention and the viewer is now unsure what the subject is - the model or the graffiti. Perhaps you can get your model to interact with the graffiti to give the composition a singular message, because these two major elements look isolated from each other and lacking significance (which isn't needed in 1 & 2). Maybe this composition could work better if she tries to reach for the hearts while smiling back at the camera. In situations like this, we also have to pay extra attention to make sure the model's outline doesn't get merged (or entangled) with the shapes of the dominant background... sometimes this can be good, but generally you don't want the background to accidentally interfere or even alter the features or outlines of your model.

The remaining close-up portraits have great character and you have timed your shutter well. It looks like you have made a good connection with your model and she is at ease even in close proximity and this shows in her portraits. On some of these shots, the AF seems to have homed-in on her scarf or the fur on her hoodie. Although these areas are just millimeters away from her face, they seem to have ended up sharper than her eyes. When DOF is very shallow, the critical placement of the focus must always be on the eyes. Perhaps you could change the focus mode to center-spot and attain a focus beep on the eye closest to you, then recompose before taking the shot (or set to MF assist)? These close-ups aren't bad - easily enhanced with just a very small amount of isolated PP sharpening on the eyes.

eyefocus.

I hope this helps... and like the others mentioned, these photos are better and you realize. Be encouraged, you're doing great! :)

16. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    VERY good stuff there! With visual proof as well. Nicely done!!

17. Mystic

Dec 7, 2012
    Well now i'm a little ashamed. it wasn't my very first photo shoot. I had quite a few of them. it was my first photoshoot with "Sony NEX 6". and I did not plan to shoot with it, but, as a battery on my Pentax K-r died after 3 shots, I made all the photoshoot with sony. Sorry for not being pretty straight on that.

it was ISO 3200 and to me actually they are technically flawed.

well you can now rescale your evaluations, i'm not a first grader. :) i'm closer to 3rd year, and therefore I get "D" for forgetting the basic thing. :)

yeah, photography is really a wonder. :) thanks for stopping by.

Such comments are always helpful, and appreciated, thank you very much for your encouragement and tips, since I never studied photgraphy, therefore I make mistakes, that are usually tought in the first class, i guess :)

So as I said in the begining of this reply, i planned to make photoshoot with pentax kr, but battery died, so I made this photoshoot with sony.

but here is one (best) of the three pics that I made with pentax kr and sigma 17-70mm.
    Fully_done_1.

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    While I agree that a much lower ISO would have created even clearer shots, the ones you have posted are in no way poor.

19. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    ISO 3200 doesn't look like a huge issue in these images, slight mis focus on a couple maybe, but don't beat yourself up. First photo shoot? Pretty damn good :)

20. Mystic

Dec 7, 2012
    not a first sorry, my mistake, just first with a sony NEX 6 and not totally successful because of the iso 3200 instead of 200. going to the start of the thread and fix that sentence where I say it's a first photoshoot.

thanks.