Menu System on Nex 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by justa, Jul 12, 2013.

1. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    When I bought my NEX6 one of the downsides according to the reviews I read was the complicated menu system on the camera.

Am I the only one that finds it really easy to use ? Admittedly I shoot mainly with aperture priority and only really dive into the menu for occasional HDR and effects shots (mainly B&W) but I have all I want at the touch of a button or two.

Set the function button up or flip through the DISP button and use the quick menu - its easy isn't it ?

Even DPreview criticised the menu system but I find it easier and quicker than my old Nikon !

My only slight criticism is that some options appear to be in the wrong main menu category but thats nit picking....

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Pretty big nit when you're looking for a function that you use only occasionally. ;)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, some of the most-used menu items can be set up on a function button. But as mentioned in another thread here recently, here are three that require extensive menu diving: 1) Formatting an SD card, 2) Adjusting and/or dis/enabling focus peaking, and 3) turning OSS on and off. Depending on what it is I'm shooting, I have to access at least one of those every time I use the camera.

I shoot aperture priority almost all of the time too, but it's annoying to have to go find A) which of the six menu selections to click on first, and then B) scroll through a seemingly endless list of vaguely titled menu items to find the one you're looking for.

They could have just had two menu selections: 1) The Important Stuff, and 2) All The Other Crap You'll Never Use.

That would have suited me just fine. ;)

4. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Fair points

Actually how do you switch the OSS off ?!!!!

5. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Actually found it - not that I'd disable it very often

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If you ever shoot with a tripod, then I'm told that it's good practice to disable it. Not that I've ever encountered a photo that seemed to be screwed up because I forgot to disable it. But some things have just become photography lore, and I figure, better safe than sorry.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    My 5N with the 55-210 on a light tripod can be affected sometimes. On a heavy tripod it doesn't seem to matter. Pics destined for web viewing it probably doesn't matter either way.

8. Stelex

Stelex TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mike
    I was a bit 'scared' of the menus, particularly I am (was) a Canon 5D mk II user. When I got my NEX6 and had an hour or two play with it I really couldn't figure out what the fuss was all about.

The menus are reasonable, the quick navi is god send and the use of camera is a joy. Yes, there are a few things that can be improved, but no camera is perfect.

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    True enough. And compared to the programmable thermostat in my house... :dash2:

10. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    lol I'm with you there !

11. Newtype

Newtype TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 16, 2013
    I honestly don't mind the menu system, though, as some of you have mentioned, some settings appear to be out of place.

While we're on the topic, I dislike how limited the Fn button's options are!

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Me too. I'd like to have at least peaking on/off, live preview on/off and OSS on/off accessible in the function menu. Moreover, I'd like to have custom settings, so that for instance I can go from settings for a legacy lens to those for a native E-mount lens. And, most importantly, I'd like to have a third option: Phase Detection completely off, besides the choice to switch on/off the phase detect grid.

The last item, being able to completely switch off phase detect AF, is more than just a user interface thing. I'd mostly prefer to use contrast-detect AF, which is slower but more accurate.

Apart from the improvements mentioned, I don't have issues with the menus. Frankly I think most cameras offer so many options that it's hard to devise a logical scheme and I've simply gotten used to where the functions are. My NEX-6 doesn't get in the way of making good pictures and in the end that's what counts.